Frequently Asked Questions:
Virtual Audition FAQs
What will the virtual auditions look like?
Virtual auditions are new for all of us so it is important to pay attention to dates and deadlines. We have a good plan in place to replicate our in-person auditions as best as possible. It is important that things may change during the process so be ready to adjust and adapt with us. Be sure to check out the Virtual Auditions Schedule here.
What do I need to submit for virtual auditions?
All candidates must submit an application online here that includes a photo and video submission.
When is my virtual audition application due?
All applications must be submitted on Friday, May 15, 2020 by 6:00 pm (EST)
What needs to be included with the online application?
Candidates must submit the following with the online application:
- Full body photo in athletic gear that is two pieces
- Video that includes introduction and 0:30 second freestyle
What type of photo should I submit with my application?
All applicants must submit a recent full body photo in athletic wear and must be two pieces (i.e. a crop top/sports bra and dance trunks/briefs/shorts) with their application.
What are the guidelines for the video submission with application?
We recommend that you shoot your video horizontal in good lighting. Your video should be a file that is downloadable.
What is the maximum length of the video?
We recommend the video should be no longer than 2:00. Thirty (0:30) to forty-five ():45)seconds of the video is your freestyle section.
For freestyle, what song should be used for this portion?
The freestyle portion of your submission video is to a song of your choice. Be sure the lyrics of your song selection are clean.
How will I be notified if I have advanced to the next round of auditions?
Applicants will receive an email to notify them if they have advanced to the next round. All additional information for each round will be sent in email.
If I already registered for auditions, do I have to re-register for virtual auditions?
Yes. All candidates for virtual auditions must re-register. It is a completely different registration process.
What does each round look like?
- Interview & Freestyle: This round will be a video submission by application.
- Quarterfinals: A pre-recorded routine will be sent for this round with a time constraint to learn and record yourself for submission.
- Semifinals: This round will be a live virtual session like prep classes to learn choreography to perform for judges.
- Finalists Rehearsals: This round will all happen through live virtual sessions to learn finals choreography.
- Photo Round: All finalist will need to submit a photo during this round. Guidelines & due date will be sent to all finalists.
- Finals Round: Finalist will perform all choreography learned during rehearsals for judges.
What are the minimum qualifications to be a Washington Redskins Cheerleader?
- Must be at least 18 by April 9, 2020.
- Hold a full/part-time job, or attend school full time, or have a family
- Have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Ladies from all over the country audition each year. If you are chosen to be a Washington Redskins Cheerleader, you must relocate to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
Are there any height and weight requirements?
You should look physically fit; but we have no set limits. We do not have a minimum or maximum height/weight requirement.
Will I make the squad if I have a tattoo or facial/body piercings?
If tattoo is visible in the uniform or practice wear, you must have it covered with make up at all times. Facial and Body piercings must be removed when in uniform or practice wear.
Is there an age limit?
You must be at least 18 by May 31, 2020. There is no maximum age limit.
How should I wear my hair and makeup?
Your hairstyle and makeup should complement your features. Think glamorous.
What type of photo should I submit with my application?
All applicants must submit a recent full body photo in athletic wear with their application.
What should my video include with my application?
Think elevator pitch & tell us about you in 0:30 to 1 minute.
Can my family watch any part of the auditions or Prep Classes?
No, prep classes, the first rounds of auditions, and finalists rehearsals are closed to the public. However, the Final Round potentially could be virtually open to the public. This is TBD.
Do I have to take Prep Classes?
No, however it is highly recommended that you take as many prep classes and seminars as possible. This is where you will learn all of our various dances and styles even from our captains, leaders on the team and cheerleader directors. Those that registered for all 10 Prep Classes in March will advance to the Quarterfinal round Sunday afternoon. Candidates must still submit video for the interview and freestyle rounds.
Can I take a Virtual Prep Class(es) even if I am not going to audition?
Yes, these are among the best adult dance and fitness classes offered in the area. If you miss dancing and want to take the classes to improve your dance technique or stay in shape, then these classes are for you.
Do I have to attend all days of the auditions?
YES, you must submit the first round with your application by Friday, May 15, 2020, and be available for all rounds of the entire audition process. Click here to see the Virtual Audition Schedule
Is the squad more dance-oriented than cheerleading and stunting?
Dance! We have our own style of dance with emphasis on Jazz and Hip Hop. Tumbling is a plus.
When, where and how much do the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders rehearse?
- Anywhere from 2-5 times per week.
- Full squad rehearsals are primarily held on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:30 pm until 10:30 pm. Saturday and/or Sunday rehearsals may be in the morning or afternoon and will be scheduled several times throughout the year.
- If you are selected for additional traveling appearances, rehearsals for this will be in addition to the regular scheduled rehearsals.
- All rehearsal will be held at FedExField in the Cheerleader Studio. A few rehearsals throughout the year will be held at Redskin Park in Ashburn VA.
- All rehearsals are mandatory.
What will the judges focus on during auditions?
- Dance Technique
- Personal Appearance
- Communication Skills
- Kick Technique
- On Camera Presence
Do I have to make up my own routine?
No, for the first round of auditions you will be required to free-style dance and we recommend you not pre-choreograph this. This will take place to a one minute upbeat piece of top 40 style music. This is a way for the judges to see your natural movement and your choreography is not judged. For all other rounds, you will be taught all the choreography you will dance. Free-style will be worked on during the prep classes.
What should I wear for Virtual Auditions?
- Your outfit can be any color and any style, and must be two pieces (i.e. a crop top/sports bra and dance trunks/briefs/shorts). Torso must be visible. If you wish to order a costume, you may do so from www.thelineup.com. Keep in mind the judges need to be able to picture what you would look like in the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders uniform.
- Sample audition attire will be available for purchase during our Bonus Workshop & Vendor Showcase.
- Flesh-colored pantyhose
- Dance sneaker, dance boots, or jazz shoes.
Are all the Virtual Prep Classes different and can I audition if I do not attend any of the classes?
- The Prep Classes are designed to offer different choreography each day.
- You may still audition if you do not attend any of the Prep Classes. The Prep Classes are optional, but strongly recommended. Even if you have danced your entire life you will still learn important information about the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders.