PRESEASON WEEK 2 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (0-1) VS. NEW YORK JETS (1-0)
Thursday, Aug. 16 | 8:00 p.m. ET
FedExField (82,000) | Landover, Md.
The Washington Redskins will make their home debut for the 2018 preseason when they host the New York Jets. Kickoff at FedExField is scheduled for 8 p.m.
The game will be broadcast to a national audience on ESPN, featuring the newly formed Monday Night Football broadcast team of Joe Tessitore and Jason Witten - calling the game from the booth - along with field-level analyst Booger McFarland and Lisa Salters reporting from the sidelines.
Following last week's preseason game, Head Coach Jay Gruden has expressed confidence in the Redskins running game behind veterans Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine.
"I've been impressed with both those guys... but Rob Kelley has lost a little bit of weight. He looks quicker in the hole to me, and Samaje just looks more comfortable to me. You know, he had a couple of nice hits in the game the other night, powerful, low to the ground runner," said Gruden. "We'll just let it play out and see what happens."
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins lead all time regular season series, 8-3
Redskins lead all-time preseason series, 6-4
Last meeting: Oct. 18, 2015 (34-20, NYJ)
TELEVISION: NBC4/NBC Sports Washington
Joe Tessitore (play-by-play)
Jason Witten (color)
Lisa Salters (sidelines)
Booger McFarland (field analyst)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The New York Jets entered the 2018 preseason following a 5-11 record last year. This year will be the team's fourth under Head Coach Todd Bowles.
The Jets opened camp with a quarterback competition with Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold all making cases to be New York's starting signal caller.
In 2017, McCown completed 267- of-397 passes (67.3 percent) for 2,926 yards and 18 touchdowns with nine interceptions.
Bridgewater signed with New York in the offseason after spending four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings and served as the starter during the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Darnold was selected by the Jets in the first round with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft following a decorated career at USC.
Bilal Powell led the running back corp at the end of the 2017 campaign after collecting 772 yards (4.3 avg.) on 178 carries with five touchdowns. He will share the backfield with Isaiah Crowell after the Jets picked up the fifth-year veteran in free agency.
Crowell capped his four-year stint with the Cleveland Browns recording 3,118 yards (4.2 avg.) from 737 carries to complement 21 touchdowns. He also hauled in 96 receptions for 770 yards.
Jermaine Kearse and Robby Anderson spotlight New York's wide receivers after playing in all 16 games last year. Kearse finished 2017 with a team high 65 receptions for 810 yards with five touchdowns. Anderson tallied 63 receptions and finished with team highs in receiving yards (941) and touchdown receptions (7). The Jets picked up Terrelle Pryor in free agency after spending the 2017 season with the Washington Redskins.
Austin Seferian-Jenkins sits atop New York's tight ends. He completed the season with 50 receptions for 357 yards and three touchdowns.
Linebacker Darron Lee was among the Jets' leaders in tackles in 2017. He compiled 94 tackles (67 solo), and finished second on the team last year with three sacks according to STATS Inc.
Jamal Adams capped 2017 with 82 tackles (63 solo) and led the secondary in the category while fellow safeties Marcus Maye and Terrence Brooks shared a team high in interceptions with two apiece.
Lachlan Edwards maintains the punt unit after averaging 46.6 yards per punt last year.
Check out these photos of the past matchups between the Redskins and Jets.
Following their joint practice at the start of the week, Thursday's contest between the Redskins and Jets will become the 11th all-time preseason meeting between the two clubs. From the span of 2006-10, the teams played every other year with the Redskins leading the all-time preseason series, 6-4. Washington has now defeated the New York Jets in three consecutive preseason meeting follwoing a 22-18 win in 2016.
Included below are the 10 preseason games contested between the Redskins and Jets:
- Date Game Result
- 9/7/1975 vs. NY Jets 35-31 L
- 8/28/1976 at NY Jets 38-7 W
- 9/9/1977 vs. NY Jets 14-7 W
- 8/24/1991 vs. NY Jets 13-9 L
- 8/8/1992 at NY Jets 14-13 L
- 8/27/1993 vs. NY Jets 17-3 W
- 8/19/2006 vs. NY Jets 27-14 L
- 8/16/2008 at NY Jets 13-10 W
- 8/27/2010 at NY Jets 16-11 W
- 8/19/2016 vs. NY Jets 22-18 W
The Redskins hold an 8-3 all-time advantage against the Jets in regular season play since the teams' first meeting on Nov. 5, 1972, a 35-17 Redskins victory.
Included below are the 11 regular season games contested between the two squads:
- Date Game Result
- 11/5/1972 at NY Jets 35-17 W
- 12/5/1976 at NY Jets 37-16 W
- 9/24/1978 vs. NY Jets 23-3 W
- 10/25/1987 vs. NY Jets 17-16 W
- 12/11/1993 vs. NY Jets 3-0 L
- 9/29/1996 vs. NY Jets 31-16 W
- 9/26/1999 at NY Jets 27-20 W
- 9/4/2003 vs. NY Jets 16-13 W
- 11/4/2007 at NY Jets 23-20 (OT) W
- 12/4/2011 vs. NY Jets 34-19 L
- 10/18/2015 at NY Jets 34-20 L
A look back at some of the top images in games between the Washington Redskins and New York Jets.
NOTABLE REDSKINS/JETS CONNECTIONS
Former Jets on Redskins:
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (Quality Control 2007-08, Assistant Special Teams 2009-12 and Special Teams Coordinator 2013)
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (Strength and Conditioning Intern 2014, Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach 2015-16)
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (Quarterbacks Coach 2009-12)
- Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach 2008-11)
- Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O'Connell (QB-Player 2009-11)
Former Redskins on Jets:
- Head Coach Todd Bowles (Free Safety-Player, 1986-90, 1992,93)
- Defensive Backs Coach Steve Jackson (Safeties Coach, 2004-11)
- Tight Ends Coach Jimmie Johnson (Player-TE ,1989-91)
- Running Backs Coach Stump Mitchell (Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs, 2008-09)
- Defensive Line Coach Robert Nunn (Defensive Line Coach, 2003)
- Defensive Backs Coach Dennard Wilson (Safety-Player, 2004)
- G Alex Balducci (2017-18)
- C Spencer Long (2014-17)
- WR Andre Roberts (2014-17)
- WR Terelle Pryor (2017)
- DL Kendall Reyes (2016)
- Redskins from New York/New Jersey:
- T T.J. Clemmings (Mt. Vernon, N.Y.)
- TE Matt Flanagan (Mendham, N.J.)
- DL Matt Ioannidis (Flemington, N.J.)
- OL John Kling (Cheektowaga, N.Y.)
- T Ty Nsekhe (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
- T Timon Parris (Floral Park, N.Y.)
Jets from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Defensive Backs Coach Dennard Wilson (Upper Marlboro, Md.)
- RB Trenton Cannon (Hampton, Va.)
- LB Brandon Copeland (Sykesville, Md.)
- WR Lucky Whitehead (Manassas, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in New York/New Jersey:
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (Colgate)
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (West Point)
- T Timon Parris (Stony Brook)
- TE Matt Flanagan (Rutgers)
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (College of New Jersey)
Jets who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Defensive Backs Coach Dennard Wilson (Maryland)
- RB Trenton Cannon (Virginia State)
- WR Tre McBride (William & Mary)
- Tight Ends Coach Jimmie Johnson (Howard)
The Washington Redskins conducted their thirteenth day of training camp practice Sunday, August 8, 2018 at Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center in Richmond, Va.
Notable Pro Connections
- S D.J. Swearinger (2015-16) played for Jets Running Backs Coach Stump Mitchell (2013-16) and was teammates with LB Kevin Minter (2013-16) at the Arizona Cardinals.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2013-14) and DB Kenny Ladler (2014-14) played for Jets Offensive Assistant Jason Vrable (2013-16) while all were members of the Buffalo Bills. Vrable served as the Offensive Quality Control Coach/Assistant Quarterbacks Coach.
- LB Cassanova McKinzy (2017) and C Demetrius Rhaney (2014-17) played for Jets Defensive Backs Coach Dennard Wilson (2012-17) while all were members of the St. Louis/LA Rams. Wilson served as the Defensive Quality Control Coach/Running Backs Coach.
- Head Coach Jay Gruden (2002-08) and Jets Offensive Coordinator & Quarterbacks Coach Jeremy Bates (2002-04) coached together for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Gruden served as an Offensive Assistant and Bates served as Offensive Quality Control Coach/ Assistant Quarterbacks Coach.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2012-15) and Jets Special Teams Coach Brant Boyer (2012-15) coached together for the Indianapolis Colts. Manusky served as the Defensive Coordinator and Boyer served as the Assistant Special Teams Coach.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17) andJets Offensive Line Coach & Run Game Coordinator Rick Dennison (2015-16) coached together for the Denver Broncos. Rauscher served as the Offensive Assistant and Dennison served as the Offensive Coordinator.
- Defensive QC Cannon Matthews (2008-11) and Jets Defensive Quality Control Coach Tim Atkins (2011-13) coached together for the Buffalo Bills. Matthews served as the Offensive Coaching Assistant and Atkins served as the Defensive Assistant.
- Defensive QC Cannon Matthews (2016) and Jets Defensive Line Coach Robert Nunn (2016) and Defensive Quality Control Coach Tim Atkins (2014-16) coached together for the Cleveland Browns. Matthews served as the Assistant DB Coach, Nunn as the Defensive Line Coach and Atkins as a Game Charter.
- Quarterbacks Coach Kevin O'Connell (2015) and Jets Defensive Quality Control Coach Tim Atkins (2014-16) coached together for the Cleveland Browns. O'Connell served as the Quarterbacks Coach and Atkins as a Game Charter.
- Quarterbacks Coach Kevin O'Connell (2016) and Jets Offensive Assistant/Assistant Quarterbacks Mick Lombardi (2014-17) coached together for the San Francisco 49ers. O'Connell served as the Special Projects Coach and Lombardi as the Assistant to the Head Coach/Defensive Assistant Coach.
- Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1995-97) coached Jets Tight Ends Coach Mike Caldwell (TE-Player, 1995-98) while both were members of the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2011) and Jets Wide Receivers Coach Karl Dorrell (2011) coached together with the Miami Dolphins for one year. Hilliard served as the Assistant Wide Receivers Coach and Dorrell as the Quarterbacks Coach.
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2013) and Jets Defensive Quality Control Coach Tim Atkins (2011-13) and Offensive Assistant Jason Vrable (2013-16) coached together with the Buffalo Bills. Hilliard served as the Wide Receivers Coach, Atkins as the Defensive Assistant and Vrable as the Offensive Quality Control Coach.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (RB-Player, 1995-97) and Jets Special Teams Coach Brant Boyer (Linebacker-Player, 1995-00) played together while both were members of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (2007-13) and Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles (2005-07) and Defensive Coordinator Kacy Rodgers (2005-07) coached together with the Dallas Cowboys. Phillips served as the Quality Control/Offensive Assistant, Bowles as the Secondary Coach and Rodgers as the Defensive Line Coach.
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (2007-15) and Jets Offensive Assistant/Assistant Quarterbacks Mick Lombardi (2014-17) coached together for the San Francisco 49ers. Tomsula served as the D-Line Coach/Head Coach and Lombardi as the Assistant to the Head Coach/Defensive Assistant Coach.
- Director of Football Operations Paul Kelly (2004-08) and Jets Offensive Coordinator & Quarterbacks Coach Jeremy Bates (2004) coached together with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Kelly served as the Director of Football Operations and Bates as the Assistant Quarterbacks Coach.