Series history, broadcast information, connections and more from Saturday's Redskins-Ravens 2015 Preseason Week 3 matchup at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.
PRESEASON WEEK 3WASHINGTON REDSKINS (2-0) at BALTIMORE RAVENS (1-1)
Saturday, Aug. 29 – 7:30 p.m. ET
M&T Bank Stadium (71,008) – Baltimore
The Washington Redskins and Baltimore Ravens will renew their near-annual preseason series in an I-95 showdown at M&T Bank Stadium on Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
Check out the top photos from the Washington Redskins' 2015 Preseason Week 2 matchup against the Detroit Lions Aug. 20, 2015, at FedExField.
All offseason, Redskins officials, coaches and players have stressed the importance of the team's rushing attack, a commitment that appears to be paying dividends early in the 2015 preseason.
In their preseason opener at Cleveland, the Redskins rushed for 153 yards on 37 attempts, an average of 4.1 yards per carry. A week later, they followed up their performance with a 179-yard effort on 40 carries (4.5 avg.) against Detroit, the league's top rushing defense from a season ago. It marked the first time the Redskins have rushed for at least 150 yards in consecutive preseason games since 2008.
"Matt Jones continues to hit the hole the way we want him to – hard. He gets through the second level, he's a problem. Trey [Williams] makes some excellent runs. And of course, Chris Thompson continues to do what he's been doing throughout camp," Gruden said of his running backs in addition to workhorse Alfred Morris last week. "Very exciting to see those backs step up and make some plays."
SERIES HISTORY— Ravens lead preseason series, 6-2
— Ravens lead regular season series, 3-2
— Last preseason meeting: Aug. 23, 2014 (23-17, BAL)
— Last regular season meeting: Dec. 9, 2012 (31-28 OT, WAS)
TELEVISION: NBC-4/Comcast SportsNet
– Chick Hernandez (play-by-play)
– Joe Theismann (color)
– Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
– Larry Michael (play-by-play)
– Sonny Jurgensen (color)
– Chris Cooley (analysis)
– Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
THE OPPONENTThe Baltimore Ravens are competing in the 2015 preseason following a 2014 campaign in which the team finished third in the AFC North with a 10-6 record, earning a Wild Card berth in the AFC playoffs. This season will be the team's eighth under Head Coach John Harbaugh.
A look back at some of the top images in preseason and regular season games between the Washington Redskins and Baltimore Ravens.
Quarterback Joe Flacco led the Ravens in passing in 2014, completing 344-of-554 passes for 3,986 yards with 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He started all 16 of the Ravens' regular season contests and the team's AFC Wild Card victory as well as their AFC Divisional Round contest.
Last year, running back Justin Forsett was selected to the Pro Bowl after leading the Ravens in rushing in his first year with the team. He finished the season with 1,266 yards on 235 carries for a 5.4-yards-per-carry average, highest amongst qualifying NFL running backs.
Wide receiver Steve Smith Sr. recorded team highs in receptions (79) and receiving yards (1,065) in his first season with the Ravens last season. Wide receiver Torrey Smith, now a member of the San Francisco 49ers, led the Ravens with 11 receiving touchdowns a year ago.
Last year, then-rookie linebacker C.J. Mosley earned a Pro Bowl selection after leading the Ravens with 133 tackles (89 solo). Mosley also tied defensive lineman Haloti Ngata for the team lead in interceptions with two. Linebacker Elvis Dumervil was selected to the Pro Bowl and received first-team All-Pro honors after leading the Ravens with 17.0 sacks.
Justin Tucker handled kicking duties for the Ravens during the 2014 campaign and converted 29-of-34 field goals. Sam Koch was the team's primary punter last season and will return for his 10th season with the team in 2015.
Wide receiver Jacoby Jones handled return duties for the Ravens last season. He totaled 1,253 yards (275 punt return yards, 978 kickoff return yards) on 62 combined returns.
PRESEASON SERIESSaturday's preseason game between the Redskins and the Ravens will be the ninth preseason meeting between the two franchises since 2003.
The Redskins will be seeking their third all-time preseason victory against the Ravens and their first since a 13-7 preseason win at FedExField on Aug. 25, 2007.
Included below is a list of the preseason games contested between the two franchises:
8/23/2003 vs. Baltimore 24-3 W
9/1/2005 at Baltimore 26-20 L
8/31/2006 vs. Baltimore 17-10 L
8/25/2007 vs. Baltimore 13-7 W
8/13/2009 at Baltimore 23-0 L
8/21/2010 vs. Baltimore 23-3 L
8/25/2011 at Baltimore 34-31 L
8/23/2014 at Baltimore 23-17 L
NOTES FROM LAST GAME- The Washington Redskins improved to 2-0 in the 2015 preseason on Thursday, earning a 21-17 win against the Detroit Lions in front of an announced crowd of 51,327.
- The Redskins held the Lions to 46 rushing yards on 13 attempts. Washington has only allowed 91 rushing yards through two games.
- The Redskins have now limited consecutive preseason opponents to 50 yards or fewer in each game for the first time since the first two weeks of the 2000 preseason (50, at Tampa Bay; 47 vs. New England).
- The Redskins rushed for 179 yards on 40 rushing attempts (4.5 avg.).
- Last week, the Redskins recorded 153 rushing yards at Cleveland. The Redskins have now exceeded 150 rushing yards in consecutive preseason games for the first time since the first three games of the 2008 preseason (156, vs. IND; 155, vs. BUF; 181, at NYJ).
- The Redskins converted 8-of-13 third downs (61.5 percent), the team's best third-down conversion rate in preseason play since converting 63.2 percent in the 2010 preseason opener vs. Buffalo.
- Rookie Trey Williams posted team highs in rushing attempts (10) and rushing yards (52).
- Rookie Matt Jones added 44 rushing yards on eight carries and scored the first rushing touchdown of his professional preseason career on a one-yard second-quarter plunge.
- Quarterback Colt McCoy completed 5-of-6 passes for 80 yards and a touchdown, finishing the game with a perfect 158.3 passer rating.
- McCoy found rookie Reggie Bell for a 19-yard touchdown in the third quarter, the first professional preseason touchdown of Bell's career.
- Wide receiver Rashad Ross posted team highs in receptions (four) and receiving yards (39). In the fourth quarter, Ross caught a game-winning four-yard touchdown pass from Kirk Cousins.
- The Redskins recorded four sacks on the evening. Their nine sacks in the team's first two preseason games are their most in a two-game span of preseason action since posting nine combined sacks in the final two games of the 2012 preseason.
- Cornerback Justin Rogers recorded his first professional sack in either preseason or regular season play, dropping Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford for a seven-yard loss in the first quarter.
- Defensive end Ricky Jean Francois recorded the first full sack of his preseason career in the second quarter.
- Linebacker Jackson Jeffcoat recorded his second sack of the preseason. Including the end of last season, Jeffcoat has registered a sack in three of his last four preseason or regular season games for the Redskins.
- A week after a two-sack performance in the preseason opener at Cleveland, rookie linebacker Houston Bates added his team-high third sack of the preseason in the fourth quarter.
- Tress Way, the league's reigning leader in gross punting average from last season, punted four times for 204 yards (51.0 avg.).
- Way unleashed a 60-yard punt in the first quarter. Last season, Way recorded six punts covering 60 yards or more.
- Redskins kickers remain perfect this preseason. Kai Forbath is 2-for-2 on field goal attempts and 2-for-2 on PAT attempts. Rookie Ty Long is 3-for-3 on PAT attempts.
- The Redskins have now won 13 of their last 15 preseason games.
Former Redskins on Ravens:
- WR Aldrick Robinson (2011-14)
Former Ravens on Redskins:
- Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh (1999-2004, Offensive Coordinator)
Ravens from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Asst. Offensive Line Coach Todd Washington (Onley, Va.)
Ravens who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Todd Washington (Virginia Tech)
- Defensive Coaching Assistant Drew Wilkins (Maryland)
- QB Matt Schaub (Virginia)
- OL Eugene Monroe (Virginia)
- DL Chris Canty (Virginia)
- DL Brent Urban (Virginia)
Notable Pro Connections:
- DB Justin Rogers and Ravens WR Kamar Aiken played together in Buffalo in 2011. Rogers and Ravens QB Matt Schaub played together in Houston in 2013.
- DB DeAngelo Hall and Ravens QB Matt Schaub played together in Atlanta from 2004-06.
- DL Terrance Knighton and Ravens LB Daryl Smith played together in Jacksonville from 2009-12.
- FB Jordan Campbell and Ravens DL Christo Bilukidi played together in Cincinnati in 2013. Also, OL Willie Smith and Ravens Bilukidi played together in Oakland in 2012.
Check out images of veteran defensive end Jason Hatcher during the 2015 offseason.
DL Jason Hatcher and Ravens DL Chris Canty played together in Dallas from 2006-08. * OL Kory Lichtensteiger and LB Elvis Dumervil played together in Denver in 2008. Then, Ravens Dumervil and DL Chris Baker played together in Denver in 2009. Lastly, Ravens Dumervil and DB Duke Ihenacho played together in Denver in 2012. * DB Jeron Johnson and Ravens RB Justin Forsett played together in Seattle in 2011. * OL Willie Smith and Ravens DL Lawrence Guy played together in San Diego from 2013-14. Ravens Guy and OL Bryce Quigley played together in San Diego in 2014. * DL Jerrell Powe and Ravens DB Kendrick Lewis played together in Kansas City from 2011-13 and then in Houston during 2014. Ravens Lewis and WR Rashad Ross also played together in Kansas City in 2013. * DL Frank Kearse and Ravens WR Steve Smith Sr. played together in Carolina from 2010-13.
Notable College Connections:
- LB Terrance Plummer and Ravens WR Breshad Perriman played together at Central Florida from 2012-14.
- WR Evan Spencer and Ravens OL Daryl Baldwin played together at Ohio State from 2011-14.
- LB Preston Smith and Ravens OL Blaine Clausell played together at Mississippi State from 2011-14.
- OL Brandon Scherff and Ravens DL Carl Davis played together at Iowa from 2011-14.
- OL Morgan Moses and Ravens DL Brent Urban played together at Virginia from 2010-13.
- QB Colt McCoy and Ravens K Justin Tucker played together at Texas from 2008-09.
- WR DeSean Jackson and Ravens RB Justin Forsett played together at California in 2007.
- QB Kirk Cousins and Ravens DL Micajah Reynolds played together at Michigan State from 2010-11.