RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today a series of new initiatives to enhance the experience for families and travelers headed to training camp 2016 at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center in Richmond, Va.
Among these enhancements is Road Trip to Richmond Travel Packages, which will offer fans a unique, family friendly opportunity to explore Richmond. Through the team's partnerships with Richmond Region Tourism, The City of Richmond, Kings Dominion and the Science Museum the packages offer passes to some of Richmond's favorite attractions, in addition to exclusive Training Camp gear. The Redskins Richmond Passport Program also launches this year, with its primary focus to drive guests to Richmond-area businesses with 'Redskins Special Offers' unique to each venue. Richmond venues interested in applying for the program can visit: www.redskins.com/passport.
As part of the Washington Redskins' commitment to create a destination for families, a new line-up of special events such as Kids Day, Football Fiesta, the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders Annual Summer Camp and Fan Appreciation Day will be highlighted on the schedule – with the return of "Jerseys Off Our Backs" presented by Bon Secours on Fan Appreciation Day, a successful feature where players randomly select a child to receive their jersey after practice.
Additional enhancements include:
- Redskins Stage
* The Training Center will feature a Redskins Stage and screen, providing fans an exciting new view of live radio broadcasts from ESPN 950, a live social media feed and highlight videos each day. * The Legends Showcase
* The feature will offer fans a new experience in connecting with alumni and the team's history. A schedule of alumni and special guest autograph signings will be available soon. * New Family Zone
* Completed in early 2016, the Play 60 Playground will be available to all children on-site each day at training camp. On Mondays and Wednesdays, the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation will host Challenge Course Trials for children between the ages of 6 and 17 in attendance. Children will need to register for the Challenge at the playground each day to be eligible to participate and win prizes * Family Zone will also feature the Bon Secours Class-A-Roll, Virginia's first mobile learning kitchen, which is scheduled to be onsite from Aug. 7 – 14.
In addition to the activities on the Play 60 Playground, the Charitable Foundation partnered with Good Sports Inc. to provide equipment donations valued at $50,000 to a number of youth non-profits and schools in the area. Selected organizations will be on-site to receive their items in a special ceremony on the Redskins Stage on Kids Day. For the second consecutive year, the Charitable Foundation will host a football clinic for registered moms. The clinic will begin with speakers and will conclude with an on-field tackling demonstration. Following the demo, the moms will be provided lunch and will have an up close and personal private viewing area for practice.
Additional Programming on Kids Day:
- Flag Football Clinic – Select non-profit groups will be invited to attend camp to participate in a skills clinic on the field prior to practice.
- Youth Groups – Local youth groups and football leagues will be encouraged to bring their kids to camp on this day specifically.
- Giveaways – The first 1,000 kids (ages 17 years and younger) will receive a giveaway at the gate.
- Activities – Targeted activities will include: balloon artists, face painters, Kings Dominion characters, Flying Squirrels mascots and more!
Bon Secours Health System will be onsite daily, offering a variety of health screenings as well as wellness and prevention information. The health system will conduct health screenings focused on heart disease and stroke, diabetes, women's health, pediatrics, orthopedics, sports medicine and more. The Bon Secours Class-A-Roll, Virginia's first mobile learning kitchen, also will be onsite from Aug. 7 – 14.
Admission at camp is free for all fans. Following practice, Redskins players and coaches will be made available to sign autographs and take pictures with fans, schedules permitting. All scheduled dates and practice times are subject to change.
Prior to their arrival at training camp, Redskins fans are encouraged to fill out their free Training Camp Fan Invitation, which is available at http://www.redskins.com/trainingcamp-signup
For more information on the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center or the Redskins training camp, please visit www.redskins.com/trainingcamp or www.redskinsrva.bonsecours.com. For detailed information on Richmond sites, attractions, hotels and more, visit www.rvariverfront.com.