Skip to main content

News | Washington Commanders -

Alfred Morris Gets First Touchdown Of Season


Redskins running back Alfred Morris got his first touchdown of the season on Sunday, when he punched it in from one yard out on a tough goal line effort.

For the first time during the 2015 regular season, Washington Redskins running back Alfred Morris on Sunday found the end zone.

It came in the first quarter of the Redskins' 24-21 victory over the Chicago Bears, just one play after an overturned touchdown reception by Jordan Reed left Washington at the half-foot line with a new set of downs.

"It felt good," Morris told "You know, it was just one more score to help the team win. I'm just glad my number got called and I was able to answer."

It has been an at-tmies difficult season for Morris, as his numbers aren't on par with his first three seasons with the Redskins, when he ran for more than 1,000 yards each campaign and was selected to his first two Pro Bowls in 2013 and 2014.

But just one day after his 27th birthday, Morris was able to hit paydirt once again on a soggy Sunday aftenoon at Soldier Field.

No, Morris' usual celebration featuring the home run swing wasn't there – he was near the bottom of a pile on the goal line for several seconds after scoring -- but the happiness for a player that's continued to work hard through a frustrating season was.

Check out these top photos from the Washington Redskins' 2015 Week 14 matchup against the Chicago Bears Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015, at Solider Field.

"I was excited, man," fullback Darrel Young said of Morris' touchdown. "Alfred Morris is just one of those players you respect so much, man, because obviously he's accomplished so much, but he's an even better person. When he scored I'm like, 'He'll start to get going.' You know I love Matt Jones, Pierre Thomas, Chris Thompson, all the backs that we've had. Everyone's always good people. You just want to see good people do good in good situations. He thrived today."

Morris would finish the day with 11 carries for 24 yards, while the entire Redskins offense rushed for 99 yards on 33 carries on the sloppy turf.

The Redskins' victory – which keeps them in first place of the NFC East with three games left – was their first win away from FedExField since Week 8 last season, when they defeated the Dallas Cowboys in overtime at AT&T Stadium.

"We've been in a rut, so just to get a W is awesome," Morris said. "I'm thankful we finally got it. We definitely made it interesting to say the least, but we got a win none the less so I'm thankful."

Indeed, the Redskins -- after jumping out to leads of 14-0 and 21-7 – saw both leads dwindle into a tie ball game late in the game.

Kicker Dustin Hopkins would nail a 47-yard field goal three plays into the fourth quarter before a back and forth defensive effort on both sides kept the score at 24-21.

On the Bears' last drive, though, they would penetrate Redskins territory thanks in large part to a 50-yard connection between Jay Culter and Alshon Jeffery.

After stalling out on the Redskins' 32-yard line, Robbie Gould would try a 50-yard field goal.

He'd miss wide-right.

"I knew they weren't going to make it," Morris said confidently. "So I'm glad they didn't make it, because it would have made the game that much more interesting. I'm glad we were able to avoid overtime. Granted, I still think we would have come out with a win, but we played a good game. We made some mistakes as we always do and we could've put them away early, but we let them stick around, gave them some hope and it kind of made it a tougher game. But still like I said, we came out with the W so that's the most important."


. .

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content