Series history, broadcast information, connections and more from Wednesday's Redskins-Buccaneers 2016 Preseason Week 4 matchup at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.
PRESEASON WEEK 4WASHINGTON REDSKINS (2-1) vs. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (2-1)
Wednesday, August 31 | 8:00 p.m. ET
Raymond James Stadium (65,618) | Tampa, Fla.
Check out these photos of the Redskins' offense preparing for their Week 4 Preseason Tampa Bay Buccaneers Monday, Aug. 29, 2016, at the Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park.
The Washington Redskins will conclude the 2016 preseason on Wednesday, Aug. 31, when the team faces the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 p.m.
The Redskins improved to 2-1 this preseason with a 21-16 victory against the Buffalo Bills at FedExField last Friday. Quarterback Trent Williams and the Redskins' offense surged in the second quarter, as Cousins connected for touchdown passes to three different receivers during the frame. Third-round cornerback Jonathan Allen sealed the victory with the first interception of his preseason career as time expired.
Head Coach Jay Gruden and the Redskins' staff now face the tough task of identifying the team's 53-man roster.
"[I have] a ton of respect for all these guys that are in our locker room right now," Gruden said. "Proud of them, the way they've come in here and competed from OTAs until now. It's unfortunate we have to do what we have to do, but it's something that every team has to go through. It's not easy, that's for sure."
SERIES HISTORY--Regular season series is tied, 10-10
--Redskins lead preseason series, 9-5
--Last meeting: Oct. 25, 2015 (31-30, WAS)
--Last preseason meeting: Aug. 28, 2014 (24-10, WAS)
TELEVISION: CSN Mid-Atlantic/NBC4/NFL Network--Kenny Albert (play-by-play)
--Joe Theismann (color)
--Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network**
--Larry Michael (play-by-play)
--Sonny Jurgensen (color)
--Chris Cooley (analysis)
--Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
THE OPPONENTThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers enter 2016 following a 2015 season in which they recorded a 6-10 record and a fourth-place finish in the NFC South. This is the team's first season under Head Coach Dirk Koetter.
Quarterback Jameis Winston enters his second season as starting quarterback for the Buccaneers. Winston started all 16 games in his rookie season last year, completing 312 passes on 535 attempts for 4,042 yards. He finished the season having passed for 22 touchdowns and scoring six additional rushing touchdowns.
Doug Martin led the Buccaneers with 288 carries for 1,402 yards (second-most in the NFC) with six rushing touchdowns last season. Fellow running back Charles Sims contributed 529 yards on 107 carries.
Wide receiver Mike Evans set the tone for the receivers, recording 74 catches for 1,206 yards and three touchdowns. Vincent Jackson started in nine of the 10 games he played for Tampa Bay last season, recording 33 receptions for 543 yards and three touchdowns. Sims and tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins tied for the team lead with four receiving touchdowns each.
Linebacker Lavonte David led the defense with 147 tackles (85 solo, 62 assisted), three sacks and three interceptions. David's tackle total ranked second in the NFC and third in the NFL. Kwon Alexander totaled 93 tackles (59 solo), three sacks and two interceptions. Safety Bradley McDougald recorded 87 tackles (67 solo) and two interceptions.
Adam Humphries and Kenny Bell are listed as the team's punt returner and kick returner, respectively. Neither Humphries nor Bell returned any kickoffs or punts last season. Second-round pick Roberto Aguayo is the team's kicker and is 6-of-8 on field goal attempts and 6-of-7 on PATs this preseason. Second-year punter Jacob Schum and fifth-year veteran Bryan Anger are competing for the team's punting duties this season.
Check out these photos of the Redskins' defense and special teams preparing for their Week 4 Preseason match up against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Monday, Aug. 29, 2016, at the Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park.
Wednesday's contest between the Redskins and Buccaneers will be the 15th preseason meeting between the two franchises since 1979. The Redskins are 9-5 against the Buccaners in preseason play in that time frame.
The matchup has become a near-annual tradition in recent years. The teams faced one another in their preseason finale in four straight years from 2011-14 before a year apart last year. The Redskins have won five straight preseason games against Tampa Bay since 2002.
Included below are the 14 previous preseason games contested between the Redskins and Buccaneers since 1979:
- 8/4/1979 at Tampa Bay 9-7 W
- 8/29/1980 at Tampa Bay 11-6 L
- 8/21/1982 at Tampa Bay 28-13 L
- 8/30/1985 at Tampa Bay 20-7 W
- 8/23/1986 at Tampa Bay 21-13 W
- 8/29/1987 at Tampa Bay 17-10 L
- 8/2/1997 at Tampa Bay 20-8 W
- 9/3/1999 vs. Tampa Bay 16-13 L
- 8/4/2000 at Tampa Bay 13-12 L
- 8/24/2002 at Tampa Bay 40-10 W
- 9/1/2011 vs. Tampa Bay 29-24 W
- 8/29/2012 vs. Tampa Bay 30-3 W
- 8/29/2013 at Tampa Bay 30-12 W
- 8/28/2014 at Tampa Bay 24-10 W
The overall combined regular season and postseason series between the Redskins and Buccaneers sits dead even at 11-11 all-time, including a 10-10 ledger in regular season play.
The teams most recently met last October in one of the most memorable contests in recent Redskins history. After falling into a 24-0 second-quarter deficit, quarterback Kirk Cousins and the Redskins posted the largest comeback in team history in rallying for a 31-30 victory.
Included below are the 22 combined regular season and postseason games contested between the two squads:
- 10/9/1977 at Tampa Bay 10-0 W
- 9/19/1982 at Tampa Bay 21-13 W
- 10/22/1989 vs. Tampa Bay 32-28 W
- 12/5/1993 at Tampa Bay 23-17 W
- 12/4/1994 at Tampa Bay 26-21 L
- 12/18/1994 vs. Tampa Bay 17-14 L
- 9/24/1995 at Tampa Bay 14-6 L
- 12/8/1996 at Tampa Bay 24-10 L
- 12/19/1998 vs. Tampa Bay 20-16 W
- 1/15/2000* at Tampa Bay 14-13 L
- 10/1/2000 vs. Tampa Bay 20-17 (OT) W
- 10/12/2003 vs. Tampa Bay 35-13 L
- 9/12/2004 vs. Tampa Bay 16-10 W
- 11/13/2005 at Tampa Bay 36-35 L
- 1/7/2006* at Tampa Bay 17-10 W
- 11/19/2006 at Tampa Bay 20-17 L
- 11/25/2007 at Tampa Bay 19-13 L
- 10/4/2009 vs. Tampa Bay 16-13 W
- 12/12/2010 vs. Tampa Bay 17-16 L
- 9/30/2012 at Tampa Bay 24-22 W
- 11/16/2014 vs. Tampa Bay 27-7 L
- 10/25/2015 vs. Tampa Bay 31-30 W
NOTABLE REDSKINS/BUCCANEERS CONNECTIONS**
Former Buccaneers on Redskins:
- President Bruce Allen (2004-08)
- Head Coach Jay Gruden (2002-08)
- Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry (2001-06, 09)
- Offensive Coordinator Sean McVay (2008)
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2005-09)
- S Deshazor Everett (2015 offseason)
- LB Carlos Fields (2014, practice squad)
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14)
Former Redskins on Buccaneers:
- Tight Ends Coach Jon Embree (2010)
Redskins from Florida:
- Special Projects/Special Teams Asst. Bret Munsey (Winter Park)
- CB Quinton Dunbar (Miami)
- WR Pierre Garcon (Greenacres)
- DE Ricky Jean Francois (Miami)
- RB Rob Kelley (Seffner)
- C Austin Reiter (Bradenton)
- RB Chris Thompson (Greenville) LB Lynden Trail (Miami)
Buccaneers from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Linebackers Coach Mark Duffner (Annadale, Va.)
- LS Andrew DePaola (Parkton, Md.) T Taylor Fallin (Bowie, Md.)
- DT A.J. Francis (Washington, D.C.) QB Mike Glennon (Fairfax County, Va.)
- T Kelby Johnson (Bowie, Md.)
- DE Howard Jones (Woodbridge, Va.)
- DB Ryan Smith (Upper Marlboro, Md.)
Redskins who went to college in Florida:
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (Florida)
- RB Mack Brown (Florida)
- CB Quinton Dunbar (Florida)
- K Dustin Hopkins (Florida State)
- RB Matt Jones (Florida)
- TE Jordan Reed (Florida)
- C Austin Reiter (South Florida)
- TB Chris Thompson (Florida State)
- LB Lynden Trail (Florida)
- LB Mike Wakefield (Florida International)
Buccaneers who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Linebackers Coach Mark Duffner (William & Mary)
- DT A.J. Francis (Maryland)
- LB Luke Rhodes (William & Mary)
Notable Pro Connections: (Extensive connections with former Redskins coaches excluded)
- Head Coach Jay Gruden worked with Buccaneers Defensive Line Coach Jay Hayes for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2011-13. Gruden served as the Offensive Coordinator and Hayes served in the same position.
- Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry worked with Buccaneers Defensive Backs Coach Brett Maxie for the San Francisco 49ers in 2000. Barry served as Quality Control Coordinator and Maxie served as Assistant Defensive Secondary Coach.
- Outside Linebackers Coach Greg Manusky (2002-06,11) worked with Buccaneers Assistant Special Teams Coach Carlos Polk for the San Diego Chargers. Manusky served as the Linebackers Coach (2002-06) and Defensive Coordinator (2011) while Polk played linebacker (2002-06) and served as Special Teams Assistant (2011).
- S DeAngelo Hall worked with Buccaneers Defensive Backs Coach Brett Maxie for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. Maxie served in the same position.
- Defensive Backs Coach Perry Fewell worked with Buccaneers DE Robert Ayers for the New York Giants in 2014. Fewell served as the Defensive Coordinator.
- DE Chris Baker (2009), S David Bruton Jr. (2009-13) and S Duke Ihenacho (2012-13) played with Buccaneers DE Robert Ayers for the Denver Broncos.
- DE Ziggy Hood (2014-15), TE Marcel Jensen (2014) and CB Will Blackmon (2013-14) played with Buccaneers P Bryan Anger for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Blackmon, Hood and Jensen also played with Buccaneers RB Storm Johnson for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2014.
- DE Stephen Paea (2011-13), Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh (2013) and Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Clark (2013) worked with Buccaneers S Major Wright for the Chicago Bears. Cavanaugh served in the same position and Clark served as the Strength and Conditioning Coordinator.
- S Will Blackmon played with Buccaneers C Evan Smith for the Green Bay Packers in 2009.
- WR Colt McCoy played with Buccaneers CB Alterraun Verner for the Tennessee Titans in 2013.
- CB Josh Norman played with Buccaneers LB Adarius Glanton for the Carolina Panthers in 2014.
- T Ty Nsekhe played with Buccaneers QB Ryan Griffin for the New Orleans Saints in 2014.
- QB Colt McCoy (2012) and G Shawn Lauvao (2012-13) played with Buccaneers DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen for the Cleveland Browns.
Notable College Connections:
- LB Will Compton (2010-11), G Spencer Long (2010-11) and TE Niles Paul (2010) played with Buccaneers LB Lavonte David at Nebraska. Will Compton (2011-12) and Long (2011-13) also played with Buccaneers CB Daniel Davie at Nebraska.
- LB Preston Smith played with Buccaneers CB Johnthan Banks for Mississippi State from 2011-12.
- WR Jamison Crowder (2007) and LS Nick Sundberg (2007-08) played with Buccaneers S Chris Conte for Cal.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (2011) and S Deshazor Everett (2011-13) coached/played with Buccaneers WR Mike Evans at Texas A&M.
- QB Kirk Cousins played with Buccaneers DE William Gholston at Michigan State from 2010-11.
- WR Ryan Grant (2009-12) and RB Rob Kelley (2011-12) played with Buccaneers QB Ryan Griffin for Tulane.
- RB Matt Jones (2013-14), RB Mack Brown (2013-14) and CB Quinton Dunbar (2013-14) played with Buccaneers CB Vernon Hargreaves for Florida.
- CB Bashaud Breeland (2011-13) and DE Corey Crawford (2011- 14) played with Buccaneers WR Adam Humphries at Clemson.
- T Trent Williams (2006-09) and P Tress Way (2008-09) played with Buccaneers DT Gerald McCoy for Oklahoma.
- LB Ryan Kerrigan played with Buccaneers T Kevin Pamphile for Purdue from 2009-10.
- LB Terence Garvin played with Buccaneers S Keith Tandy at West Virginia from 2009-11.
- TE Logan Paulsen played with Buccaneers CB Alterraun Verner for UCLA from 2006-09.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2012) and RB Chris Thompson (2012) played with Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston at Florida State.
- TE Jordan Reed played with Buccaneers S Major Wright at Florida in 2009.
- G Shawn Lauvao played under Buccaneers Head Coach Dirk Koetter at Arizona State in 2006.
- TE Logan Paulsen played for Buccaneers Tight Ends Coach Jon Embree for UCLA in 2005 and later under Embree with the Redskins in 2010.
- C Austin Reiter played with Buccaneers WR Andre Davis at South Florida from 2011-14.
- OL Josh LeRibeus played with Buccaneers C Ben Gottschalk at SMU from 2010-12.
- CB Bashaud Breeland (2011-13) and DE Corey Crawford (2011- 14) played with Buccaneers WR Adam Humphries at Clemson.