REGULAR SEASON WEEK 17 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (7-8) VS. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (8-7)
Sunday, Dec. 30 | 4:25 p.m. ET
FedExField (82,000) | Landover, Md.
The Washington Redskins will close out their 2018 regular season schedule when they host the Philadelphia Eagles. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:25 p.m. ET at FedExField.
On Saturday against the Tennessee Titans, running back Adrian Peterson rushed for 119 yards on 26 attempts (4.6 avg.). Peterson has now recorded 54 games in which he has rushed for 100 or more yards. During the game, Peterson passed Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson for eighth on the NFL's all-time list in career rushing yards.
He has now recorded 1,042 total rushing yards on the season and became the first Redskin player to eclipse 1,000 rushing yards since Alfred Morris (1,074 in 2014). During his conference call with the local media outlets on Sunday, head Coach Jay Gruden confirmed that quarterback Josh Johnson would remain the starter to close the regular season schedule.
"I thought he played really well to be honest with you. He moved the ball. He got some great third down conversions," said Gruden. "But overall, for what we asked him to do, and what he had to accomplish in a short amount of time, I thought was extraordinary.
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins lead the Eagoes in all-time series, 86-76-5
Last meeting: Dec. 3, 2018 (28-13, PHI)
Chris Myers (play-by-play)
Daryl Johnston (analysis)
Laura Okmin (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The Philadelphia Eagles enter the season finale at 8-7 with eyes on a return to the postseason after winning the Super Bowl last year.
Head Coach Doug Pederson is searching for his second consecutive winning season as Head Coach of the Eagles and is 28-19 in his head coaching tenure. After an injury to quarterback Carson Wentz, Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles will lead the Eagles once again.
Foles has played in four games this season, going 113-for-162, for 1,192 yards, fi ve touchdowns and three interceptions. Undrafted rookie running back Josh Adams continues to impress in relief of starter Jay Ajayi.
Adams has rushed the ball 109 times for 461 yards and three touchdowns so far, but 431 one of those yards have in the last nine weeks. Wendell Smallwood has added to the rushing attack with 311 yards and three touchdowns as well. Fresh off a Pro-Bowl selection, tight end Zach Ertz has been excellent all season, with 113 receptions for 1,148 yards and eight touchdowns.
Veteran Alshon Jeffery has been a critical part of the passing game as well, with 60 receptions for 784 yards and five touchdowns in just 12 games.
Up front, defensive end Michael Bennett and defensive tackle Fletcher Cox have caused havoc on opposing quarterbacks all season, with Bennett notching eight sacks, while Cox has tallied seven and a half.
Linebackers Nigel Bradham and Jordan Hicks have been tackling machines, with 87 and 85 tackles respectively. In the secondary, Malcolm Jenkins has been a leader on defense, with 84 tackles, seven passes defensed and an interception. Rasul Douglas and Avonte Maddox have supplanted Jenkins in the secondary. Douglas has 42 tackles, two interceptions and three passes defensed, while Maddox has 25 tackles, three passes defensed and two interceptions.
Kicker Jake Elliott recorded a crucial game winning kick last week against the Houston Texans and continues his strong season. Elliott is 25-for-30 on fi eld goals with a long of 56 yards against Dallas.
Sunday's game between the Redskins and the Eagles will mark the 168th overall meeting between the division rivals.
This is the 167th regular season meeting between the two franchises, not including two meetings in 1943 when the Eagles merged with the Steelers to form the Phil-Pitt Steagles.
The Redskins lead the all-time regular season series 85-76-5. With exception of the 1943 season, the two teams have played a home-and-home series every year since 1936. Including a playoff win in 1990, the Redskins' 86 combined victories against the Eagles are their most against any opponent.
A win on Sunday would give the Redskins their first against the Eagles since the 2016 regular season. Here's some of their most recent matchups.
- Date Game Result
- 10/8/2000 at Philadelphia 17-14 W
- 11/26/2000 vs. Philadelphia 23-20 L
- 11/25/2001 at Philadelphia 13-3 W
- 12/16/2001 vs. Philadelphia 20-6 L
- 9/16/2002 vs. Philadelphia 37-7 L
- 12/15/2002 at Philadelphia 34-21 L
- 10/5/2003 at Philadelphia 27-25 L
- 12/27/2003 vs. Philadelphia 31-7 L
- 11/21/2004 at Philadelphia 28-6 L
- 12/12/2004 vs. Philadelphia 17-14 L
- 11/6/2005 vs. Philadelphia 17-10 W
- 1/1/2006 at Philadelphia 31-20 W
- 11/12/2006 at Philadelphia 27-3 L
- 12/10/2006 vs. Philadelphia 21-19 L
- 9/17/2007 at Philadelphia 20-12 W
- 11/11/2007 vs. Philadelphia 33-25 L
- 10/5/2008 at Philadelphia 23-17 W
- 12/21/2008 vs. Philadelphia 10-3 W
- 10/26/2009 vs. Philadelphia 27-17 L
- 11/29/2009 at Philadelphia 27-24 L
- 10/3/2010 at Philadelphia 17-12 W
- 11/15/2010 vs. Philadelphia 59-28 L
- 10/16/2011 vs. Philadelphia 20-13 L
- 1/1/2012 at Philadelphia 34-10 L
- 11/18/2012 vs. Philadelphia 31-6 W
- 12/23/2012 at Philadelphia 27-20 W
- 9/9/2013 vs. Philadelphia 33-27 L
- 11/17/2013 at Philadelphia 24-16 L
- 9/21/2014 at Philadelphia 37-34 L
- 12/20/2014 vs. Philadelphia 27-24 W
- 10/4/2015 vs. Philadelphia 23-20 W
- 12/26/2015 at Philadelphia 38-24 W
- 10/16/2016 vs. Philadelphia 27-20 W
- 12/11/2016 at Philadelphia 27-22 W
- 9/10/2017 vs. Philadelphia 30-17 L
- 10/23/2017 at Philadelphia 34-24 L
- 12/3/2018 at Philadelphia 28-13 L
NOTABLE REDSKINS/EAGLES CONNECTIONS
Former Eagles on Redskins:
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (1995-97)
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (QB-Player, 1986-89)
- Assistant Special Teams Coach Bret Munsey (2013)
- RB Byron Marshall (2016-17)
- QB Mark Sanchez (2014-15)
Former Redskins on Eagles:
- Defensive Quality Control/Assistant Defensive Line Phillip Daniels (DE-Player, 2004-10, 12)
- LS Rick Lovato (2016)
- QB Nate Sudfeld (2016
- Redskins from Pennsylvania:
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (Dallas, Pa.)
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (Swoyersville, Pa.)
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (Homestead, Pa.)
Eagles from the Washington D.C. area:
- Offensive Coordinator Mike Groh (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz (Baltimore, Md.)
- Assistant Offensive Line/Tights Ends/Run Game Eugene Chung (Vienna, Va.)
- DE Chris Long (Charlottesville, Va.)
- LB LaRoy Reynolds (Norfolk, Va.)
- S Tre Sullivan (Accokeek, Md.)
Redskins who went to college in Pennsylvania:
- Offensive Coordinator (Pitt)
- TE Matt Flanagan (Pitt)
- DL Matt Ioannadis (Temple)
Eagles who went to college in the Washington D.C. area:
- Offensive Coordinator Mike Groh (Virginia)
- Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz (Georgetown)
- Assistant Offensive Line/Tights Ends/Run Game Eugene Chung (Virginia Tech)
- DE Chris Long (Virginia)
- LS Rick Lovato (Old Dominion)
- LB LaRoy Reynolds (Virginia)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken (2001-09) worked with Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz (09-13) for the Detroit Lions. Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Kevin O'Connell played on the team in 2009. Blacken served as Strength and Conditioning Coach and Schwartz as Head Coach.
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (2012-14) and Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (07-13) worked with Eagles Defensive Quality Control/Assistant Linebackers Coach Ryan Paganetti (13) for the Dallas Cowboys. Callahan served as Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach, Phillips Tight Ends Coach and Paganetti as a Scouting Intern.
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (2013-14) worked for the Chicago Bears when Eagles Offensive Coordinator Mike Groh (13-15) and WR Alshon Jeffery (12-16) were members of the team. Cavanaugh served as Quarterbacks Coach and Groh as Wide Receivers Coach.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (LB-Player, 1994-99) played with Eagles Assistant Offensive Line/Tights Ends/Run Game Coach Eugene Chung (T-Player, 98-99) on the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Manusky (2002-06) worked for the San Diego Chargers when Eagles Tight Ends Coach Justin Peelle (TE-Player, 02-05) and RB Darren Sproles (05-10) played there. Manusky served as Linebackers Coach.
- Manusky (2007-10), Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (07-15) and TE Vernon Davis (06-15) were all members of the San Francisco 49ers when Eagles Special Teams Coordinator Dave Fipp (08-10) worked there. Manusky served as Defensive Coordinator, Tomsula as Defensive Line Coach and Fipp as Assistant Special Teams Coach.
- Tomsula and Davis were also members of the 49ers when Eagles Tight Ends Coach Justin Peelle played on the team in 2011.
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2011) worked with Eagles Special Teams Coordinator Dave Fipp (11-12) for the Miami Dolphins. Hilliard served as Assistant Wide Receivers Coach and Fipp as Assistant Special Teams Coach.
- Hilliard (2013) worked for the Buffalo Bills when K Dustin Hopkins (13-14) and Eagles LB Nigel Bradham (12-15) played on the team. Hilliard served as Wide Receivers Coach.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (RB-Player, 1995-97) played with Eagles Assistant Offensive Line/Tights Ends/Run Game Coach Eugene Chung (T-Player, 95) on the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2008-11) worked for the Bills when Eagles T Jason Peters (04-08) played there. Matthews served as Defensive/Special Teams Coaching Assistant.
- Matthews and Eagles Linebackers Coach Ken Flajole both worked for the Cleveland Browns in 2013. Matthews served as Defensive Coaching Intern and Flajole as Inside Linebackers Coach.
- Matthews (2014-15) worked for the Tennessee Titans when LB Zach Brown (12-15) and Eagles G Chance Warmack (13-16) played on the team. Matthews served as Defensive Quality Control Coach.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (2014-16) worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars when C Luke Bowanko (14-16), Eagles LB LaRoy Reynolds (13-15) and G/C Stefen Wisniewski (15) played there. O'Hara served as an Offensive Coaching Associate.
- Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams (2004-10) worked for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Eagles DE Michael Bennett (09-12) played there. Williams served as Director of Professional Personnel.
Check out these photos of Redskins fans during the Week 16 matchup against the Titans. Don't forget to check out the Redskins Monday Special - Buy any sub plus 30.oz drink and get a 6-inch sub of equal or lesser price for free! More info here: https://www.redskins.com/fans/subway
Pro Player Connections:
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2012-15) and DL Stacy McGee (13-16) played with Eagles C/G Stefen Wisniewski (11-14) on the Oakland Raiders.
- DL Caleb Brantley played with Eagles LB B.J. Bello on the Cleveland Browns in 2017.
- LB Zach Brown (2016) played with Eagles S Corey Graham (14-16) on the Buffalo Bills.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2013-14) also played with Eagles Corey Graham on the Bills.
- S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2014-18) played with Eagles LS Rick Lovato (15) and TE Richard Rodgers (14-17) on the Green Bay Packers.
- TE Vernon Davis (2015) played on the Denver Broncos when Eagles Defensive Backs Coach Cory Undlin (12-14) worked there. Undlin served as Defensive Backs Coach.
- WR Michael Floyd played with Eagles DE Chris Long on the New England Patriots in 2016.
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14) and QB Josh Johnson (08-11) played with Eagles DE Michael Bennett (09-12) on the Buccaneers.
- Johnson (2012) and QB Colt McCoy (10-12) played on the Cleveland Browns when Eagles Safeties Coach Tim Hauck (12) worked there. Hauck served as Defensive Backs Coach.
- Johnson (2015) played with Eagles LB Nigel Bradham (12-15) and S Corey Graham (14-16) on the Buffalo Bills.
- G Zac Kerin (2017) played with Eagles DT Haloti Ngata (15-17) and WR Golden Tate (14-18) on the Detroit Lions.
- LB Pernell McPhee (2011-14) played with Eagles S Corey Graham (12-13), DT Tim Jernigan (14-16) and DT Haloti Ngata (06-14) on the Baltimore Ravens.
- McPhee (2015-17) played with Eagles CB De'Vante Bausby (15-16), S Deiondre' Hall (16-17), WR Alshon Jefferey (12-16), CB Cre'Von LeBlanc (16-17) and LB LaRoy Reynolds (15) on the Chicago Bears.
- QB Mark Sanchez (2017) also played with Eagles Deiondre' Hall and Cre'Von LeBlanc on the Bears.
Notable Collegiate Connections:
- Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken (RB-Player, 1984-88) played with Eagles Assistant Offensive Line/Tight Ends/Run Game Coach Eugene Chung (T-Player, 87-1991) at Virginia Tech.
- Blacken (1995) worked at Virginia when Eagles Offensive Coordinator Mike Groh (QB-Player, 91-95) played there. Blacken served as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (2008-11) worked at Texas A&M when Eagles DE Michael Bennett (05-08) played there. Jordan served as Running Backs Coach.
- Jordan (2012-13) worked with Eagles Wide Receivers Coach Gunter Brewer (12-17) at North Carolina. Jordan served as Running Backs Coach and Brewer as Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach.
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti (1998-99) worked with Eagles Defensive Line Coach Chris Wilson (97-99) at Indiana State. Olivadotti served as an Assistant Coach and Wilson as Defensive Line Coach.
- Olivadotti (2011-13) worked with Defensive Line Coach Chris Wilson (13) at Georgia. LB Josh Harvey-Clemons played on the team from 2012-13. Olivadotti served as Inside Linebackers Coach and Wilson as Defensive Line Coach.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2004-09) worked with Eagles Safeties Coach Tim Hauck (08) at UCLA. Rauscher served as a Graduate Assistant and Hauck as Safeties Coach.
- C Luke Bowanko (2009-13) and T Morgan Moses (09-13) played with Eagles LB LaRoy Reynolds (09-12) at Virginia.
- S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2011-13) played at Alabama when Eagles G Chance Warmack (09-12), Offensive Coordinator Mike Groh (11-12) and Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator Jeff Stoutland (11-12) were all members of the team. Groh served as Wide Receivers Coach/Recruiting Coordinator and Stoutland as Offensive Line Coach.
- WR Josh Doctson (2011-15) played with Eagles G/T Matt Pryor (14-17) and T Halapoulivaati Vaitai (12-15) at TCU.
- S Deshazor Everett (2011-14) played with Eagles DE Daeshon Hall (13-16) at Texas A&M.
- TE Matt Flanagan (2017) played with Eagles CB Avonte Maddox (14-17) at Pitt.
- WR Michael Floyd (2008-11) played with Eagles WR Golden Tate (07-09) at Notre Dame.
- LB Mason Foster (07-10) played at Washington when Eagles Offensive Quality Control/Running Backs Coach Trent Mile (05-07) worked there. Mile served as Running Backs Coach.
- WR Maurice Harris (2012-15) played with Eagles TE Richard Rodgers (11-13) at California.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2009-12) and RB Chris Thompson (09-12) played with Eagles LB Nigel Bradham (08-11) and DT Tim Jernigan (11-13) at Florida State.
- G Zac Kerin (2009-13) played with Eagles DT Treyvon Hester (13-16) at Toledo.
- RB Byron Marshall (2011-15) played at Oregon when Eagles Assistant Special Teams Coach Matthew Harper (09-12) and Offensive Quality Control/Assistant Offensive Line Coach T.J. Paganetti (07-12, 15-16) worked there. Harper served as a Coaching Intern (09-11)/Graduate Assistant (12) and Paganetti as Student Assistant Coach (09-12)/Graduate Assistant/Linebackers Coach (15-16).
- DL Stacy McGee (2009-12), P Tress Way (08-12) and T Trent Williams (06-09) played with Eagles T Lane Johnson (09-12) at Oklahoma. Eagles Defensive Line Coach Chris Wilson worked there from 2005-09 and served as Defensive Ends Coach (05-06)/Defensive Ends and Special Teams Coordinator (07-09).
- RB Adrian Peterson (2004-06) also played at Oklahoma when Eagles Chris Wilson worked there.
- LB Pernell McPhee (2007-10) played with Eagles DT Fletcher Cox (09-11) at Mississippi State. Eagles Defensive Line Coach Chris Wilson worked there from 2010-12 and served as Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach.
- LB Preston Smith (2011-14) also played at Mississippi State when Eagles DT Fletcher Cox and Chris Wilson were members of the team.