REGULAR SEASON WEEK 14 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (6-6) VS. NEW YORK GIANTS (4-8)
Sunday, Dec. 9 | 1:00 p.m. ET
FedExField (82,000) | Landover, Md.
The Washington Redskins will return to FedExField on Sunday for a pivotal divisional matchup in the NFC East when the team hosts the New York Giants. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.
In their first meeting of the 2018 season, the Redskins defeated the Giants, 20-13, and will have an opportunity to sweep their rival in regular season play for the first time since 2011.
The Redskins are currently tied for second in the division with the Philadelphia Eagles and sit one game behind the Dallas Cowboys. In Week 13, Adrian Peterson rushed for 98 yards on nine attempts and recorded a 90-yard touchdown run. The 90-yard score was the longest touchdown run from scrimmage in his career and also the longest touchdown run in Redskins history.
Peterson has totaled 856 rushing yards from 192 attempts (4.5 avg.) and seven touchdowns on the ground. He is now 144 yards shy of 1,000 rushing yards for the season and will need to average 36 yards per game to hit the mark.
Under center, quarterback Mark Sanchez is expected to start for the Redskins. It would be the 10-year veteran's first start since 2015. Sanchez signed with Redskins on Nov. 19.
An up-close-and-personal look at the players from the team's 2018 Week 13 matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles presented by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield.
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins trail Giants in all-time series, 69-100-4
Last meeting: Oct. 28, 2018 (20-13 WAS)
Chris Myers (play-by-play)
Daryl Johnston (analyst)
Laura Okmin (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The New York Giants enter the game with first-year Head Coach Pat Shurmur getting a second look at the Redskins after a 20-13 loss in Week 8. The Giants own a 4-8 record, but have won three of their last four games.
Eli Manning is in the midst of his 15th season in the NFL, all of which have come with the Giants. Manning has missed just one game in the last fourteen seasons, and is a two time Super Bowl Champion. The veteran is 296-for-436 for 3,263 yards, 15 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Manning is on to pace to pass his season totals in passing yards and touchdowns last season.
Manning's offense is full of explosive offensive players this season, including the 2018 2nd overall pick, running back Saquon Barkley. Barkley is off to not only one of the best seasons among rookies in the NFL, but also one of the best all-around seasons in the league. Barkley has rushed the ball 195 times for 954 yards and eight touchdowns, while also tallying 74 receptions for 602 yards and four touchdowns.
In addition to Barkley, Manning has the electric duo of Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepherd, to throw to. Beckham continues to be one of the astounding receivers in the league, with 77 receptions for 1,052 yards and two touchdowns. Beckham Jr. has also thrown for two touchdowns this season, becoming the first non-quarterback to accomplish the feat since Antwaan Randle El in 2010. Not to be out done, Shepherd is having a breakout campaign, notching 52 receptions for 638 yards and three touchdowns.
The tight end position has its own dynamic duo, with veteran Rhett Ellison and youngster Evan Engram. Engram has 23 receptions for 257 yards and two touchdowns, while Ellison has 23 receptions for a career high 254 yards and a touchdown.
On defense, the Giants are led by safeties Landon Collins and Janoris Jenkins, as well as linebacker Alec Ogletree. Collins has tallied a team high 96 tackles and a team high 67 solo tackles. Jenkins has notched 53 tackles, 11 passes defensed and two interceptions. Ogletree, in his first season in New York, has recorded 78 tackles, six passes defensed and four interceptions.
On special teams, second year kicker Aldrick Rosas has been one of the most consistent kickers in the league, going 26-of-27 from field goal range, including a career long of 57 yards. Rosas is also a perfect 21-for-21 on PAT's.
A look back at some of the top images in games between the Washington Redskins and New York Giants.
Sunday's matchup between the Redskins and Giants will mark the 174th overall meeting between the division rivals. The Giants are the Redskins' most common opponent.
The Redskins trail the all-time series, 69-100-4. The teams have split a pair of postseason games, including a 28-0 Redskins victory in the 1943 Eastern Division playoff. A win on Sunday would give the Redskins their first regular season division sweep of against the NY Giants since 2011.
Included below are some of the most recent of the 173 previous games contested between the Redskins and Giants:
- Date Game Result
- 9/24/2000 at NY Giants 16-6 W
- 12/3/2000 vs. NY Giants 9-7 L
- 10/7/2001 at NY Giants 23-9 L
- 10/28/2001 vs. NY Giants 35-21 W
- 11/17/2002 at NY Giants 19-17 L
- 12/8/2002 vs. NY Giants 27-21 L
- 9/21/2003 vs. NY Giants 24-21 (OT) L
- 12/7/2003 at NY Giants 20-7 W
- 9/19/2004 at NY Giants 20-14 L
- 12/5/2004 vs. NY Giants 31-7 W
- 10/30/2005 at NY Giants 36-0 L
- 12/24/2005 vs. NY Giants 35-20 W
- 10/8/2006 at NY Giants 19-3 L
- 12/30/2006 vs. NY Giants 34-28 L
- 9/23/2007 vs. NY Giants 24-17 L
- 12/16/2007 at NY Giants 22-10 W
- 9/4/2008 at NY Giants 16-7 L
- 11/30/2008 vs. NY Giants 23-7 L
- 9/13/2009 at NY Giants 23-17 L
- 12/21/2009 vs. NY Giants 45-12 L
- 12/5/2010 at NY Giants 31-7 L
- 1/2/2011 vs. NY Giants 17-14 L
- 9/11/2011 vs. NY Giants 28-14 W
- 12/18/2011 at NY Giants 23-10 W
- 10/21/2012 at NY Giants 27-23 L
- 12/3/2012 vs. NY Giants 17-16 W
- 12/1/2013 vs. NY Giants 24-17 L
- 12/29/2013 at NY Giants 20-6 L
- 9/25/2014 vs. NY Giants 45-14 L
- 12/14/2014 at NY Giants 24-13 L
- 9/24/2015 at NY Giants 32-21 L
- 11/29/2015 vs. NY Giants 20-14 W
- 9/25/2016 at NY Giants 29-27 W
- 1/1/2017 vs. NY Giants 19-10 L
- 11/23/2017 vs. NY Giants 20-10 W
- 12/31/2017 at NY Giants 18-10 L
- 10/28/18 at NY Giants 20-13 W
NOTABLE REDSKINS/GIANTS CONNECTIONS
Former Giants on Redskins:
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (1990-91)
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (1997-04)
- Redskins from the New York/New Jersey area:
- DL Matt Ioannadis (Flemington, N.J.)
- T Ty Nsekhe (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Giants from the Washington D.C. area:
- Offensive Coordinator Mike Shula (Baltimore, Md.)
- S Kamrin Moore (District Heights, Md.)
- CB B.W. Webb (Newport News, Va.)
- DE Kerry Wynn (Louisa, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in the New York/New Jersey area:
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (Colgate)
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica (West Point)
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (College of New Jersey)
Giants who went to college in the Washington D.C. area:
- QB Kyle Lauletta (Richmond)
- CB B.W. Webb (William & Mary)
- DE Kerry Wynn (Richmond)
Notable Pro Connections:
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan (2012-14) and Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips (07-13) worked for the Dallas Cowboys when Giants CB B.W. Webb (13) played there. Callahan served as Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach and Phillips as Tight Ends Coach.
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2002-06, 11) worked with Giants Offensive Line Coach Hal Hunter (06-12) for the San Diego Chargers. Manusky served as Linebackers Coach 02-06/Defensive Coordinator (11) and Hunter as Assistant Offensive Line Coach (06)/Offensive Line Coach (07-11).
- Quarterbacks Coach/Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O'Connell played on the Chargers in 2012 when Giants Hal Hunter worked there and served as Offensive Coordinator.
- Manusky (2012-15) worked with Giants Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher (12), Hal Hunter (13-15) and Defensive Line Coach Gary Emanuel (12-17) for the Indianapolis Colts. Manusky served as Defensive Coordinator, Bettcher as Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Outside Linebackers, Hunter as Assistant Offensive Line (13-14)/Offensive Line Coach (15) and Emanuel as Defensive Line Coach.
- O'Connell (2015) worked for the Cleveland Browns when Giants G John Greco (11-16) played there. O'Connell served as Quarterbacks Coach.
- Outside Linebackers Coach Chad Grimm (2009-12) worked with Giants Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Deshea Townsend (11-12) for the Arizona Cardinals. Grimm served as Offensive Quality Control Coach and Townsend as Assistant Defensive Backs Coach.
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kavan Latham (2014-16) worked with Giants Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (14) for the New York Jets. Latham served as a Strength and Conditioning Intern and McGaughey as Special Teams Coordinator.
- Defensive Quality Control Coach Cannon Matthews (2008-11) worked with Giants Wide Receivers Coach Tyke Tolbert (04-09) for the Buffalo Bills. Matthews served as Defensive/Special Teams Coaching Assistant and Tolbert as Wide Receivers Coach.
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17), RB Kapri Bibbs (14-16), TE Vernon Davis (15) and QB Mark Sanchez (16) and Giants Tyke Tolbert (11-17), P Riley Dixon (16-17) and WR Bennie Fowler (15-17) were all members of the Denver Broncos. Rauscher served as Offensive Assistant (15-16)/Assistant to Head Coach (17) and Tolbert as Wide Receivers Coach.
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula (2007-15) worked with Giants Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (15) for the San Francisco 49ers. TE Vernon Davis played on the team from 06-15. Tomsula served as Head Coach and McGaughey as Special Teams Coordinator.
Pro Player Connections:
- OL Tony Bergstrom (2012-15), T Austin Howard (14-16) and DL Stacy McGee (13-16) played with Giants DE Mario Edwards (15-17) and TE Scott Simonson (14) on the Oakland Raiders.
- Howard and McGee also played with Giants CB Antonio Hamilton (16-17) on the Raiders.
- Bergstrom (2017), G Jonathan Cooper (12-15), WR Michael Floyd (12-16), RB Adrian Peterson (17) and S D.J. Swearinger Sr. (15-16) and Giants Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher (13-17), Assistant Special Teams Coach Anthony Blevins (13-17), LB Kareem Martin (14-17), DE Josh Mauro (14-17) and RB Elijhaa Penny (16-17) were all members of the Arizona Cardinals. Bettcher served as Outside Linebackers Coach (13-14)/Defensive Coordinator (15-17) and Blevins as Coaching Assistant/Special Teams.
- Cooper (2016) and Floyd (16) played with Giants T Nate Solder (11-17) on the New England Patriots.
- Cooper (2016) played with Giants WR Corey Coleman (16-17) and G John Greco (11-16) on the Cleveland Browns.
- Floyd (2017) and Peterson (07-16) played on the Minnesota Vikings when Giants Head Coach Pat Shurmur (16-17) worked there. Shurmur served as Tight Ends/Offensive Coordinator (16)/Offensive Coordinator (17).
- Peterson also played on the Vikings when Giants Running Backs Coach Craig Johnson (11-13) and TE Rhett Ellison (12-16) were members of the team. Johnson served as Quarterbacks Coach.
- Peterson (2017) played with Giants LB Nate Stupar (16-17) on the New Orleans Saints.
- Swearinger Sr. (2015) played with Giants WR Russell Shepard (13-16) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- DL Caleb Brantley played with Giants CB B.W. Webb on the Cleveland Browns in 2017.
- LB Zach Brown (2012-15) played with Giants CB Curtis Riley (15-17), QB Alex Tanney (15-17) and CB B.W. Webb (15) on the Tennessee Titans.
- WR Jehu Chesson played with Giants LB Ukeme Eligwe on the Kansas City Chiefs in 2017.
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14) played with Giants WR Russell Shepard (13-16) on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Foster (15), LB Pernell McPhee (15-17) and QB Mark Sanchez (17) played for the Chicago Bears when Giants Assistant Offensive Line Coach Ben Wilkerson (15-17) and DT John Jenkins (17) were members of the team. Wilkerson served as Assistant Offensive Line Coach.
- Sanchez (2014-15) played on the Philadelphia Eagles when Giants LB Connor Barwin (13-16), Head Coach Pat Shurmur (13-15) and Linebackers Coach Bill McGovern (13-15) were members of the team. Shurmur served as Offensive Coordinator and McGovern as Outside Linebackers Coach.
- QB Colt McCoy (2010-12) played on the Cleveland Browns when Giants Head Coach Pat Shurmur (11-12) and G John Greco (11-16) were members of the team. Shurmur served as Head Coach.
- CB Josh Norman (2012-15) played on the Carolina Panthers when Giants Offensive Coordinator Mike Shula (11-17), Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (16-17) and TE Scott Simonson (15-17) were all members of the team. Shula served as Quarterbacks Coach (11-12)/Offensive Coordinator (13-17) and McGaughey as Special Teams Coordinator.
- T Ty Nsekhe (2014) played with Giants DT John Jenkins (13-16) on the New Orleans Saints.
- LB Zach Vigil (2015-16) played on the Miami Dolphins when Giants DB Tony Lippett (15-17), S Michael Thomas (13-17), LB Olivier Vernon (12-15) and Defensive Backs Coach Lou Anarumo (12-17) were all members of the team. Anarumo served as Defensive Backs Coach.
Notable Collegiate Connections:
- Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams (2011-13) worked with Giants Assistant Offensive Line Coach Ben Wilkerson (12-13) at Grambling State. Williams served as Head Coach and Wilkerson as Offensive Line Coach.
- Williams also worked at Grambling State with Giants Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Thomas Stallworth (08-11). Stallworth served as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan (2012-13) worked at North Carolina when Giants LB Kareem Martin (10-13) played there. Jordan served as Running Backs Coach.
- Offensive Quality Control Coach Chris O'Hara (2011-13) worked at Miami when Giants LB Olivier Vernon (09-11) played there. O'Hara served as a Student Assistant (11-12)/Graduate Assistant (13).
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti (2011-13) worked at Georgia when LB Josh Harvey-Clemons (12-13), Giants DT John Jenkins (11-12) and LB Alec Ogletree (10-12) played there. Olivadotti served as Inside Linebackers Coach.
- DL Jonathan Allen (2013-16), LB Ryan Anderson (13-16), S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (11-13) and LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (14-17) played with Giants S Landon Collins (12-14) and DT Dalvin Tomlinson (13-16) at Alabama.
- DL Daron Payne (2015-17) also played with Giants DT Dalvin Tomlinson at Alabama.
- LB Zach Brown (2008-11) played with Giants LB Kareem Martin (10-13) at North Carolina. Giants Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher (07-09) worked there and served as a Graduate Defensive Assistant.
- G Jonathan Cooper (2010-12) also played with Giants LB Kareem Martin at North Carolina.
- WR Jehu Chesson (2013-16) played at Michigan when Giants Strength and Conditioning Coach Aaron Wellman (11-14) worked there. Wellman served as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- DL Matt Ioannidis (2012-15) played with Giants S Sean Chandler (14-17) at Temple.
- K Dustin Hopkins (2009-12) and RB Chris Thompson (09-12) played with Giants DE Mario Edwards (12-14) at Florida State.
- LB Ryan Kerrigan (2007-10) played at Purdue when Giants Defensive Line Coach Gary Emanuel (10-11) and Defensive Backs Coach Lou Anarumo (04-11) worked there. Emanuel served as Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach and Anarumo as Defensive Backs Coach.
- RB Samaje Perine (2014-16) played with Giants WR Sterling Shepherd (12-15) at Oklahoma.
- DL Stacey McGee (2009-12) and P Tress Way (08-12) also played with Giants WR Sterling Shepherd at Oklahoma.
- LB Pernell McPhee (2007-10) played at Mississippi State when Giants Assistant Special Teams Coach Anthony Blevins (05-07) worked there. Blevins served as a Graduate Assistant.
- S Montae Nicholson (2014-16) played with Giants DB Tony Lippett (11-14) at Michigan State.
- WR Trey Quinn (2016-17) played with Giants C Evan Brown (14-17) at SMU.
- TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) played with Giants CB Janoris Jenkins (08-10) at Florida.
- QB Mark Sanchez (2006-09) played with Giants TE Rhett Ellison (08-11) at USC.
- LB Preston Smith (2011-14) played at Mississippi State when Giants Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Deshea Townsend (13-15) and Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Thomas Stallworth (12-15) worked there. Townsend served as Cornerbacks Coach and Stallworth as Associate Strength and Conditioning Coach.