Raymond James Stadium (65,618) | Tampa, Fla.
The Washington Redskins will hit the road for their 2017 preseason finale when the team faces the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday, Aug. 31. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
The game will be simulcast on NBC4 and CSN Mid-Atlantic, with Kenny Albert and Joe Theismann calling the game from the booth and Clinton Portis reporting from the sidelines.
In a scheduling quirk, the game marks the second consecutive preseason in which the Redskins and Buccaneers will meet in Tampa on Aug. 31 to conclude the preseason against one another. Last year, the teams met on Aug. 31, a day earlier than initially scheduled in an effort to avoid severe weather related to Tropical Depression Nine. The Redskins accrued 245 rushing yards in the wet conditions — including 149 from Mack Brown and 99 from Rob Kelley — in a 20-13 win.
The game will mark the sixth time in the last seven years that the Redskins and Buccaneers face one another in the final week of the preseason. The Redskins have won all five of their preseason finales against Tampa Bay since 2011.
SERIES HISTORY--Regular season series tied, 10-10
--Redskins lead preseason series, 10-5
--Last preseason meeting: Aug. 31, 2016 (20-13, WAS)
TELEVISION: CSN Mid-Atlantic/NBC4--Kenny Albert (play-by-play)
--Joe Theismann (color)
--Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network**
--Larry Michael (play-by-play)
--Sonny Jurgensen (color)
--Chris Cooley (analysis)
--Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers enter the 2017 preseason following a 9-7 campaign in 2016 in which they finished second in the NFC South. This year will be the team's second season under the purview of Head Coach Dirk Koetter.
Jameis Winston returns as the team's incumbent at quarterback in his third NFL season. The 2016 season marked his second 4,000-yard campaign, as he completed 345-of-567 passes (60.8 percent) for 4,090 yards with 28 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Winston started all 16 regular season games in both of his first two seasons for the Buccaneers.
Running back Jacquizz Rodgers led the Buccaneers in rushing a year ago, posting 560 rushing yards on 129 carries including two touchdowns. Running back Doug Martin contributed 421 rushing yards and three touchdowns as well.
Wide receiver Mike Evans posted team highs in receptions (96), receiving yards (1,321) and touchdown receptions (12) in 2016. Cameron Brate and Adam Humphries added 660 and 622 receiving yards, respectively, with Brate producing eight touchdown receptions.
Linebacker Kwon Alexander paced the Buccaneers with a teamhigh 145 tackles (108 solo) in 2016. Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy recorded a team-high seven sacks, while cornerback Brent Grimes and safety Keith Tandy led the Buccaneers with four interceptions each.
Nick Folk currently sits atop the Buccaneers' depth chart at kicker. Folk was 27-of-31 (87.1 percent) on field goal attempts in 16 games with the New York Jets during the 2016 season. Folk is joined at the position by former Redskins draft pick Zach Hocker.
Adam Humphries served as the team's primary punt returner in 2016, while Ryan Smith handled kickoff returns. Humphries averaged 9.9 yards per return on 24 punt returns. Smith averaged 16.9 yards per return on 10 kickoff returns.
Thursday's contest between the Redskins and Buccaneers will be the 16th preseason meeting between the two franchises since 1979. The Redskins are 10-5 against the Buccaners in preseason play.
The matchup has become a near-annual tradition in recent years. The teams faced one another in their preseason finale in four straight years from 2011-14 before a year apart in 2015. The Redskins have won six straight preseason games against Tampa Bay since 2002.
Included below are the 15 previous preseason games contested between the Redskins and Buccaneers since 1979:
- 8/4/1979 at Tampa Bay 9-7 W
- 8/29/1980 at Tampa Bay 11-6 L
- 8/21/1982 at Tampa Bay 28-13 L
- 8/30/1985 at Tampa Bay 20-7 W
- 8/23/1986 at Tampa Bay 21-13 W
- 8/29/1987 at Tampa Bay 17-10 L
- 8/2/1997 at Tampa Bay 20-8 W
- 9/3/1999 vs. Tampa Bay 16-13 L
- 8/4/2000 at Tampa Bay 13-12 L
- 8/24/2002 at Tampa Bay 40-10 W
- 9/1/2011 vs. Tampa Bay 29-24 W
- 8/29/2012 vs. Tampa Bay 30-3 W
- 8/29/2013 at Tampa Bay 30-12 W
- 8/28/2014 at Tampa Bay 24-10 W
- 8/31/2016 at Tampa Bay 20-13 W
The overall combined regular season and postseason series between the Redskins and Buccaneers sits dead even at 11-11 all-time, including a 10-10 ledger in regular season play.
The teams most recently met in 2015 in one of the most memorable contests in recent Redskins history. After falling into a 24-0 second-quarter deficit, quarterback Trent Williams and the Redskins posted the largest comeback in team history in rallying for a 31-30 victory.
Included below are the 22 combined regular season and postseason games contested between the two squads:
- 10/9/1977 at Tampa Bay 10-0 W
- 9/19/1982 at Tampa Bay 21-13 W
- 10/22/1989 vs. Tampa Bay 32-28 W
- 12/5/1993 at Tampa Bay 23-17 W
- 12/4/1994 at Tampa Bay 26-21 L
12/18/1994 vs. Tampa Bay 17-14 L * 9/24/1995 at Tampa Bay 14-6 L * 12/8/1996 at Tampa Bay 24-10 L * 12/19/1998 vs. Tampa Bay 20-16 W * 1/15/2000* at Tampa Bay 14-13 L * 10/1/2000 vs. Tampa Bay 20-17 (OT) W * 10/12/2003 vs. Tampa Bay 35-13 L * 9/12/2004 vs. Tampa Bay 16-10 W * 11/13/2005 at Tampa Bay 36-35 L * 1/7/2006* at Tampa Bay 17-10 W * 11/19/2006 at Tampa Bay 20-17 L * 11/25/2007 at Tampa Bay 19-13 L * 10/4/2009 vs. Tampa Bay 16-13 W * 12/12/2010 vs. Tampa Bay 17-16 L * 9/30/2012 at Tampa Bay 24-22 W * 11/16/2014 vs. Tampa Bay 27-7 L * 10/25/2015 vs. Tampa Bay 31-30 W *Postseason
NOTABLE REDSKINS/BUCCANEERS CONNECTIONS
Former Buccaneers on Redskins:
- President Bruce Allen (2004-08)
- Head Coach Jay Gruden (2002-08)
- Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky (2000)
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (2005-08)
- Director of Football Operations Paul Kelly (2004-08)
- S Deshazor Everett (2015 offseason)
- LB Mason Foster (2011-14)
- S D.J. Swearinger (2015)
Former Redskins on Buccaneers:
- DE Chris Baker (2011-16)
- K Zach Hocker (2014 offseason)
- WR DeSean Jackson (2014-16)
Redskins from Florida:
- Defensive Coordinator Torrian Gray (Lakeland)
- Asst. Defensive backs Coach James Rowe (Cocoa)
- Asst. Special Teams Coach Bret Munsey (Winter Park)
- Asst. Strength & Conditioning Coach Deuce Gruden (Tampa)
- C Lucas Crowley (Ponte Vedra Beach)
- CB Quinton Dunbar (Miami)
- CB Tevin Homer (West Palm Beach)
- RB Rob Kelley (Seffner)
- LB Nico Marley (Weston)
- DL Terrell McClain (Pensacola)
- DB Jeremiah McKinnon (Miami)
- CB Fabian Moreau (Davie)
- OL Ronald Patrick (Cocoa)
- RB Chris Thompson (Greenville)
- LB Lynden Trail (Miami)
Buccaneers who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- Linebackers Coach Mark Duffner (Annandale, Va.)
- T Kirven Korren (Lynchburg, Va.)
- DB Ryan Smith (Upper Marlboro, Md.)
- T Donovan Smith (Owings Mills, Md.)
Redskins who went to college in Florida:
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard (Florida)
- Offensive Quality Control Chris O'Hara (Miami)
- Asst. Defensive Backs Coach James Rowe (USF)
- RB Mack Brown (Florida)
- CB Quinton Dunbar (Florida)
- CB Tevin Homer (Florida Atlantic)
- K Dustin Hopkins (Florida State)
- RB Matt Jones (Florida)
- DL Terrell McClain (South Florida)
- DB Jeremiah McKinnon (Florida International)
- TE Jordan Reed (Florida)
- RB Chris Thompson (Florida State) Notable Pro Connections:
Head Coach Jay Gruden worked with Buccaneers Defensive Line Coach Jay Hayes for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2011-13.
Manusky and Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula worked with Buccaneers Offensive Line Coach George Warhop for the San Francisco 49ers from 2007-08.
Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh worked with Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith for the Baltimore Ravens from 1999-2001.
Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica worked for the Jets while Buccaneers K Nick Folk played there from 2010-11.
LB Zach Brown (2012-15) played with Buccaneers S Marqueston Huff (2014-15), TE Tevin Westbrook (2015), QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (2013) and CB Cody Riggs (2015) with the Tennessee Titans.
DL A.J. Francis, WR Matt Hazel and LB Zach Vigil played under Buccaneers Defensive Assistant Danny Breyer and Linebackers Coach Mark Duffner on the Miami Dolphins in 2015. Francis (2013-15), Hazel (2014-15) and Vigil (2015) also played with Buccaneers CB Brent Grimes (2013-15) on the Dolphins.
S Will Blackmon played with Buccaneers C Evan Smith on the Green Bay Packers in 2009 and DE Justin Trattou on the New York Giants in 2011.
Blackmon and DL Ziggy Hood played with Buccaneers P Bryan Anger on the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2014. Hood also played with Buccaneers RB Jacquizz Rodgers on the Chicago Bears in 2015.
CB Josh Norman played with Buccaneers LB Adarius Glanton on the Carolina Panthers in 2014. Norman also played with Buccaneers CB Robert McClain on the Panthers in 2015.
LB Junior Galette played with Buccaneers QB Ryan Griffin and FB Austin Johnson on the New Orleans Saints from 2013-14.
WR Brian Quick played with Buccaneers K Zach Hocker and LB Cameron Lynch on the St. Louis Rams in 2015.
DL Terrell McClain played with Buccaneers DE Ryan Russell (2015) and S J.J. Wilcox (2014-16) on the Dallas Cowboys.
Notable College Connections:
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti coached at Georgia while Buccaneers DE Sterling Bailey played there from 2011-13.
- Assistant Defensive Backs Coach James Rowe coached at Florida when Buccaneers CB Vernon Hargreaves played there in 2015.
- LB Will Compton (2010-11), C Spencer Long (2010-11) and TE Niles Paul (2010) played with Buccaneers LB Lavonte David (2010-11) at Nebraska.
- G Shawn Lauvao played under Buccaneers Head Coach Dirk Koetter at Arizona State in 2006.
- K Dustin Hopkins and RB Chris Thompson played with Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston at Florida State in 2012.
- DL Ziggy Hood played with Buccaneers DE Jacquies Smith at Missouri in 2008.
- DL Stacy McGee (2009), P Tress Way (2008-09) and T Trent Williams (2007-09) played with Buccaneers DT Gerald McCoy (2007-09) at Oklahoma.
- LB Ryan Kerrigan played with Buccaneers G/T Kevin Pamphile at Purdue from 2009-10.
- DL Phil Taylor Sr. played with Buccaneers DE Chris Baker at Penn State in 2007.
- CB Joshua Holsey played with Buccaneers RB Peyton Barber (2013-15) and DT DaVonte Lambert (2014-15) at Auburn.
- CB Bashaud Breeland played with Buccaneers DE Tavaris Barnes and WR Adam Humphries at Clemson from 2011-13.
- CB Fabian Moreau played with Buccaneers OL Caleb Benenoch at UCLA from 2013-15.
- RB Samaje Perine played with Buccaneers LB Devante Bond at Oklahoma from 2014-15.
- LB Preston Smith played with Buccaneers LB Richie Brown at Mississippi State from 2012-14.
- S Montae Nicholson played with Buccaneers LB Riley Bullough at Michigan State from 2014-16.
- QB Kirk Cousins played with Buccaneers DE William Gholston at Michigan State from 2010-11.
- S Deshazor Everett played with Buccaneers WR Mike Evans and WR Derel Walker at Texas A&M from 2012-13. Everett also played with Buccaneers G Jarvis Harrison at A&M from 2011-14.
- WR Ryan Grant (2009-12) and RB Rob Kelley (2011-12) played with Buccaneers QB Ryan Griffin (2009-12) at Tulane.
- RB Mack Brown, CB Quinton Dunbar and RB Matt Jones played with Buccaneers CB Vernon Hargreaves at Florida from 2013-14. Brown (2011-14), Dunbar (2011-14), Jones (2012-14) and TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) also played with Buccaneers CB Cody Riggs (2010-13) and TE Tevin Westbrook (2011-14) at Florida.
- Brown (2010) and Reed (2009-10) played with Buccaneers DE Justin Trattou (2007-10) at Florida.
- LB Martrell Spaight and TE Jeremy Sprinkle played with Buccaneers K Zach Hocker at Arkansas in 2013.
- DL Jonathan Allen and LB Ryan Anderson played with TE O.J. Howard and T Korren Kirven at Alabama from 2013-16. Allen and Anderson also played with Buccaneers RB Blake Sims at Alabama from 2013-14.
- C Chase Roullier played with Buccaneers S Marqueston Huff at Wyoming in 2013. Roullier also played with Buccaneers LB Eric Nzeocha at Wyoming from 2012-16.