Series history, broadcast information, connections and more from Saturday's Redskins-Packers 2017 Preseason Week 2 matchup at FedExField in Landover, Md.
PRESEASON WEEK 2WASHINGTON REDSKINS (0-1) vs. GREEN BACK PACKERS (1-0)
Saturday, August 19 | 7:30 p.m. ET
FedExField (82,000) | Landover, Md.
The Washington Redskins will make their 2017 preseason FedExField debut on Saturday, Aug. 19, when the team plays host to the Green Bay Packers. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
The game will be simulcast on NBC4 and CSN Mid-Atlantic, with Kenny Albert and Joe Theismann calling the game from the booth and Clinton Portis reporting from the sidelines.
The Redskins will return to their home turf, where the franchise has won 11 of its last 12 preseason contests dating back to 2011. The game will be the first meeting between the Redskins and Packers in preseason play since the Redskins shut out the Packers in a preseason victory in Madison, Wisc. during the leadup to Washington's Super Bowl-winning campaign in 1987.
For Head Coach Jay Gruden, the game represents an opportunity to see growth in his team since last week's 23-3 loss at Baltimore.
"We saw a lot of good things. We saw some things we need to work on," Gruden said. "Now it's about seeing how they can improve and if they can develop some kind of consistency in what they're doing."
SERIES HISTORY--Packers lead regular season series, 18-14-1
--Packers lead preseason series since 1961, 4-3
--Last meeting: Nov. 20, 2016 (42-24, WAS)
TELEVISION: CSN Mid-Atlantic/NBC4--Kenny Albert (play-by-play)
--Joe Theismann (color)
--Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
--Larry Michael (play-by-play)
--Sonny Jurgensen (color)
--Chris Cooley (analysis)
--Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The Green Bay Packers entered the 2017 preseason following a 10-6 campaign in 2016 in which they finished first in the NFC North. This season will be the team's 12th under the purview of Head Coach Mike McCarthy.
Check out the top images from the Washington Redskins' offense in their 2016 Week 10 matchup against the Green Bay Packers Nov. 20, 2016, at FedExField.
Aaron Rodgers returns as the team's quarterback in his 13th NFL season. The 2016 season marked his sixth 4,000yard campaign, as he completed 401of-610 passes (65.7 percent) for 4,428 yards with a league-leading 40 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Rodgers has started all 16 regular season games for the Packers in each of the last three seasons and has started 135-of-142 career games.
Running back Ty Montgomery led the Packers in rushing a year ago, posting 457 rushing yards on 77 carries including three touchdowns. Eddie Lacy contributed 369 rushing yards on 67 carries and added four rushing touchdowns.
Wide receiver Jordy Nelson posted team highs in receptions (97), receiving yards (1,257) and touchdown receptions (14) in 2016. Davante Adams finished second on the Packers with 75 receptions and 12 touchdown receptions, while Randall Cobb added 60 receptions and four touchdown receptions.
Safety Morgan Burnett paced the Packers with a team-high 91 total tackles (68 solo) in 2016. Linebacker Nick Perry recorded a team-high 11.0 sacks, and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix led the Packers with five interceptions.
Mason Crosby enters the 2017 preseason in his 11th consecutive year as the Packers' kicker. Crosby was 26-of-30 (86.7 percent) on field goal attempts in 16 regular season games for the Packers last season.
Montgomery served as the team's primary kick returner in 2016. He averaged 20.3 yards per return on 18 kickoff returns. Micah Hyde served as the team's primary punt returner, returning 11 punts for 64 yards and averaging 5.8 yards per return.
While Saturday will mark the eighth preseason meeting between the Redskins and Packers since 1961, the teams have met a total of 36 times in regular season and postseason play. The Packers currently hold a 20-15-1 edge in the all-time series between the two teams, including an 18-14-1 advantage in regular season play.
The teams first met at Braves Field in Boston in November 1932, with the Packers earning a 21-0 victory in the inaugural contest. The teams met twice a year later, with the Redskins tying the Packers, 7-7, in Green Bay and then defeating the Packers, 20-7, at home. Included below are the 36 regular season and postseason games contested between the Redskins and Packers all-time:
- 11/13/1932 vs. Green Bay 21-0 L
- 9/17/1933 at Green Bay 7-7
- 11/19/1933 vs. Green Bay 20-7 W
- 11/4/1934 vs. Green Bay 10-0 L
- 10/11/1936 at Green Bay 31-2 L
- 11/8/1936 vs. Green Bay 7-3 L
- 12/13/1936** vs. Green Bay 21-6 L
- 11/28/1937 vs. Green Bay 14-6 W
- 10/29/1939 at Green Bay 24-14 L
- 11/30/1941 vs. Green Bay 22-17 L
- 10/17/1943 at Green Bay 33-7 W
- 12/1/1946 vs. Green Bay 20-7 L
- 10/19/1947 at Green Bay 27-10 L
- 10/24/1948 at Green Bay 23-7 W
- 12/4/1949 vs. Green Bay 30-0 W
- 9/24/1950 at Green Bay 35-21 L
- 10/5/1952 at Green Bay 35-20 L
- 10/19/1958 vs. Green Bay 37-21 W
- 11/22/1959 at Green Bay 21-0 L
Check out the top images from the Washington Redskins' defense and special teams in their 2016 Week 10 matchup against the Green Bay Packers Nov. 20, 2016, at FedExField.
11/24/1968 vs. Green Bay 27-7 L * 11/26/1972 vs. Green Bay 21-16 W * 12/24/1972vs. Green Bay 16-3 W * 11/3/1974 at Green Bay 17-6 W * 11/21/1977 vs. Green Bay 10-9 W * 12/2/1979 vs. Green Bay 38-21 W * 10/17/1983 at Green Bay 48-47 L * 11/9/1986 at Green Bay 16-7 W * 10/23/1988 at Green Bay 20-17 W * 9/24/2001 at Green Bay 37-0 L * 10/20/2002 at Green Bay 30-9 L * 10/31/2004 vs. Green Bay 28-14 L * 10/14/2007 at Green Bay 17-14 L * 10/10/2010 vs. Green Bay 16-13 (OT) W * 9/15/2013 at Green Bay 38-20 L * 1/10/2016 vs. Green Bay 35-18 L * 11/20/2017 vs. Green Bay 42-24 W ** Playoff game
Included below are the seven preseason games contested between the two teams since 1961:
- 9/9/1961 vs. Green Bay 31-24 L
- 9/8/1962 vs. Green Bay 20-14 L
- 9/6/1963 vs. Green Bay 28-17 L
- 8/27/1977 at Green Bay 13-9 W
- 8/11/1978 vs. Green Bay 20-12 W
- 8/22/1987 vs. Green Bay 33-0 W
- 8/25/1995 at Green Bay 35-23 L
NOTABLE REDSKINS/PACKERS CONNECTIONS
Former Packers on Redskins:
- S Will Blackmon (2006-09)
Former Redskins on Packers:
- Defensive Line Coach Mike Trgovac (2000-01)
- DT Ricky Jean Francois (2015-16)
Redskins from Wisconsin:
- TE Derek Carrier (Edgerton)
A look back at some of the top images in games between the Washington Redskins and Green Bay Packers.
Redskins who went to college in Wisconsin:
- TE Derek Carrier (Beloit)
- TE Manasseh Garner (started collegiate career at Wisconsin)
Packers who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- G Thomas Evans (Richmond)
- LS Derek Hart (JMU)
- RB William Stanback (Virginia Union)
Notable Pro Connections: (Extensive connections with former Redskins coaches excluded):
Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky played under Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1994-98.
Manusky coached Packers DT Ricky Jean Francois when Jean Francois played for the San Francisco 49ers from 2009-10 and for the Indianapolis Colts from 2013-14 prior to their tenures in Washington.
Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula also coached Jean Francois on the 49ers from 2009-12.
Manusky and Packers Defensive Line Coach Mike Trgovac worked together with the Washington Redskins in 2001. Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti also worked with the Redskins in 2001.
Manusky played under Packers Special Teams Coordinator Ron Zook for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1999.
Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh coached Packers Offensive Coordinator Edgar Bennett when Bennett played on the Chicago Bears in 1998. Cavanaugh coached Packers Safeties Coach Darren Perry when Perry played on the Baltimore Ravens in 1999.
Quarterbacks Coach Kevin O'Connell and Packers Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio worked together with the Cleveland Browns in 2015. O'Connell played under Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers for the New England Patriots in 2008.
Defensive Quality Control Cannon Matthews and Packers Quarterbacks Coach Alex Van Pelt worked together with the Buffalo Bills from 2008-09.
Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan and Packers Associate Head Coach/Linebackers Coach Winston Moss played together on the L.A Raiders in 1993.
Head Coach Jay Gruden coached Packers Defensive Quality Control Tim McGargile when McGargile played on the Florida Tuskers from 2009-10.
Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan and Packers Defensive Line Coach Mike Trgovac worked together with the Philadelphia Eagles from 1995-98.
Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica, Callahan, and Cavanaugh worked together with Packers Strength & Conditioning Assistant Grant Thorne with the New York Jets in 2010. O'Connell also played on the New York Jets in 2010.
Offensive Quality Control Chris O'Hara coached Packers CB Davon House when House played on the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2015-16. O'Hara also coached Packers LB Jordan Tripp when Tripp played on the Jaguars in 2015.
Tight Ends Coach Wes Phillips coached Packers TE Martellus Bennett when Bennett played on the Dallas Cowboys from 2008-11. Cavanaugh also coached Bennett when Bennett played on the Chicago Bears from 2013-14.
LB Mason Foster played under Packers Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2012-13. Foster also played under Packers Quarterbacks Coach Alex Van Pelt for the Buccaneers in 2011.
OL Vinston Painter played under Packers Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio for the Cleveland Browns in 2014.
WR Terrelle Pryor Sr. and TE E.J. Bibbs also played under Angelichio for the Browns in 2015.
WR Brian Quick played under Packers Running Backs Coach Ben Sirmans for the St. Louis Rams from 2012-15.
T Ty Nsekhe also played under Sirmans for the Rams in 2012.
S DeAngelo Hall played under Packers Safeties Coach Darren Perry for the Oakland Raiders in 2008. Hall also played under Packers Corners Coach Joe Whitt Jr. for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.
DL Ziggy Hood played with Packers TE Martellus Bennett for the Chicago Bears in 2015.
LB Junior Galette played with Packers G Jahri Evans for the New Orleans Saints from 2010-14.
TE Vernon Davis played with Packers DT Ricky Jean Francois for the San Francisco 49ers from 2009-12 prior to their tenures in Washington.
WR Matt Hazel and DL A.J Francis played with Packers LB Jordan Tripp for the Miami Dolphins in 2014.
LB Chris Carter played with Packers S Jermaine Whitehead for the Baltimore Ravens in 2015.
Notable College Connections:
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh worked together with Packers Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio at Pitt from 2006-2008.
- TE Manasseh Garner played at Pitt in 2010. Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken played under Packers Special Teams Coordinator Ron Zook at Virginia Tech in 1987. Blacken coached Packers T David Bakhtiari at Colorado from 2011-12.
- Wide Receivers Coach Ike Hilliard played under Packers Special Teams Coordinator Ron Zook at Florida from 1994-95.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan and Packers Strength and Conditioning Assistant Chris Gizzi worked together at North Carolina in 2013.
- Assistant Defensive Backs Coach James Rowe coached Packers CB Donatello Brown at Valdosta State in 2016.
- RB Mack Brown, CB Quinton Dunbar, and TE Jordan Reed played under Packers Assistant Offensive Line Coach Jeff Blasko at Florida in 2011.
- S Fish Smithson played under Packers Assistant Offensive Line Coach Jeff Blasko at Kansas in 2014.
- LB Pete Robertson played under Packers Offensive Perimeter Coach David Raih at Texas Tech in 2013.
- DL Ondre Pipkins played under Packers Defensive Front Assistant Jerry Montgomery at Michigan in 2012. Pipkins also played with Packers FB Joe Kerridge and LB Jake Ryan at Michigan from 2012-14.
- WR Kendal Thompson (2013) and RB Samaje Perine (2014) played under Packers Defensive Front Assistant Jerry Montgomery at Oklahoma.
- G Arie Kouandjio played under Packers Strength and Conditioning Assistant Thadeus Jackson at Alabama from 2005-07.
- CB Joshua Holsey played with Packers DT Montravius Adams,
- S Jermaine Whitehead and T Robert Leff at Auburn from 2013-16.
- CB Fabian Moreau played with Packers DT Kenny Clark at UCLA from 2013-15. Moreau also played with Packers QB Brett Hundley at UCLA from 2012-14.
- OL Brandon Scherff played with Packers DT Mike Daniels at Iowa in 2011.
- WR Maurice Harris and S Stefan McClure played with Packers WR Trevor Davis at California from 2012-15. Harris and McClure also played with Packers TE Richard Rogers at Cal from 2012-13.
- RB Kenny Hilliard played with Packers S Malachi Dupre at LSU in 2014.
- LB Zach Vigil played with S Marwin Evans and LB Kyler Fackrell at Utah State from 2013-14.
- WR Terrelle Pryor Sr. played with Packers C Corey Linsley at Ohio State in 2010.
- DL Joey Mbu played with Packers LB Derrick Matthews at Houston from 2011-14.
- WR Jamison Crowder played with Packers WR Max McCaffery and G Lucas Patrick at Duke from 2012-14.
- DL Colt McCoy played with Packers RB Kalif Phillips at Charlotte from 2015-16.
- QB Nate Sudfeld played with Packers T Jason Spriggs at Indiana from 2012-15.