PRESEASON WEEK 1 WASHINGTON REDSKINS (0-0) AT NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (0-0)
Thursday, Aug. 9 | 7:30 p.m. ET
Gillette Stadium (65,878) | Foxborough, Mass.
The Washington Redskins will travel this week to open their 2018 preseason schedule when the team faces the New England Patriots. Kickoff at Gillette Stadium is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
It will be the fi rst time the teams have met in the preseason since 2014 when the Redskins defeated the Patriots, 23-6, at FedExField. With Thursday's matchup, the Redskins have now faced the Patriots in preseason play more than any other team since 1961.
The game will also give Head Coach Jay Gruden his fi rst evaluation of the 90-man roster after the team spotlighted its offseason with the acquisition of quarterback Alex Smith from the Kansas City Chiefs via trade.
"I have great expectations for every one of our position groups really. I don't think we really have any glaring weakness," said Gruden. "I think we have addressed a lot of them throughout the draft and free agency and then guys, veteran guys here, and I think our depth has been addressed. So now it's just a matter of just going out and playing together."
SERIES HISTORY: Redskins lead all time regular season series, 6-4
Redskins trail all-time preseason series, 8-13
Last meeting: Nov. 8, 2015 (27-10, NE)
TELEVISION: NBC4/NBC Sports Washington
Kenny Albert (play-by-play)
Joe Theismann (color)
Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
Larry Michael (play-by-play)
Chris Cooley (analysis)
Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
The New England Patriots enter the 2018 preseason following a 13-3 record and an AFC East title in 2017. The Patriots captured the AFC Divisional Round with a, 35-14, win against the Tennessee Titans before defeating the Jacksonville Jaguars, 24-20, in the AFC Championship. New England advanced to its second straight Super Bowl while making its third appearance in the last four postseasons.
Quarterback Tom Brady, now entering his 18th NFL season, is expected to lead the Patriots' offense once again in 2018. Last season, Brady completed 385-of-581 passes (66.3 percent) for 4,577 yards with 32 touchdowns and eight interceptions.
Running backs Mike Gillislee and Rex Burkhead return after fi nishing the 2017 regular season among the Patriots top rushers. Gillislee collected 383 yards on 104 carries (3.6 avg.) with fi ve rushing touchdowns. Burkhead compiled 264 yards on 64 carries (4.1 avg.) with fi ve rushing touchdowns. Burkhead also added 30 receptions for 254 yards and three receiving touchdowns.
New England acquired wide receiver Eric Decker during training camp. Decker spent 2017 on the Tennessee Titans roster and led the position group with 54 receptions for 563 yards (10.4 avg) with one touchdown.
Rob Gronkowski led the Patriots' tight ends and all receivers, gaining 1,084 yards on 69 catches with eight touchdowns.
Safety Devin McCourty led the Patriots in tackles in 2017, compiling 94 tackles (77 solo), according to STATS Inc, followed by safety Patrick Chung (78 tackles, 67 solo). Defensive end Trey Flowers led New England in sacks a season ago with 6.5, followed by linebacker Kyle Van Noy with 5.5. Safety Duron Harmon posted a team-high four interceptions.
Stephen Gostkowski manages the place kicking for New England and was 37-of-40 on fi eld goal attempts last season (92.5 percent). Ryan Allen punted 58 times with a 43.4-yard average.
The Washington Redskins conducted their ninth day of training camp practice Saturday, August 5, 2018 at Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center in Richmond, Va.
Thursday's match up between the Redskins and Patriots will mark the 22nd preseason meeting between the two teams all-time since the AFL's Boston Patriots began playing preseason games against NFL competition prior to the 1967 season.
The Redskins will have played the Patriots more than any other team during the preseason.
New England leads the all-time preseason series, 13-8. A win will give the Redskins their fi rst back-to-back preseason wins over the Patriots since consecutive preseason wins against New England from 1999 - 2000.
Included below are the 21 preseason games played between the two teams dating back to their first meeting in 1967:
· 8/26/1967 at Boston 13-7 W
· 8/16/1970 at Boston 45-21 W
· 9/2/1973 at New England 35-14 W
· 8/2/1974 vs. New England 21-17 L
· 9/4/1977 at New England 45-7 L
· 8/30/1981 at New England 19-10 L
· 8/17/1984 vs. New England 31-27 L
· 8/23/1985 vs. New England 37-36 W
· 8/10/1986 at New England 18-7 L
· 8/10/1991 at New England 27-6 W
· 8/18/1994 at New England 27-17 L
· 8/23/1996 at New England 27-19 L
· 8/22/1998 vs. New England 20-17 L
· 8/13/1999 at New England 20-14 W
· 8/11/2000 vs. New England 30-20 W
· 8/30/2001 at New England 33-13 L
· 8/29/2002 vs. New England 28-14 L
· 8/16/2003 vs. New England 20-13 L
· 8/26/2006 at New England 41-0 L
· 8/28/2009 vs. New England 27-24 L
· 8/7/2014 vs. New England 23-6 W
The Redskins lead the all-time regular season series record against the Patriots, 6-4, dating back to the teams' first meeting in 1972. Washington has won 6 of the last 9 meetings and holds a 4-3 edge at New England.
Included below are the 10 regular season games contested between the Redskins and Patriots:
· 10/1/1972 at New England 24-23 L
· 9/3/1978 at New England 16-14 W
· 10/25/1981 vs. New England 24-22 W
· 9/23/1984 at New England 26-10 W
· 12/15/1990 at New England 25-10 W
· 10/13/1996 at New England 27-22 W
· 9/28/2003 vs. New England 20-17 W
· 10/28/2007 at New England 52-7 L
· 12/11/2011 vs. New England 34-27 L
· 11/8/2015 at New England 27-10 L
Former Patriots on Redskins:
· Offensive CoordinatorMatt Cavanaugh (QB-Player, 1978-82)
· Quarterbacks Coach/Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O'Connell (QB-Player, 2008-09)
Redskins from New England:
· TE Jordan Reed (New London, Conn.)
· OL Tyler Catalina (Holden, Mass.)
· Patriots from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
· Head Coach Bill Belichick (Annapolis, Md.)
· Running Backs Coach Ivan Fears (Suffolk, Va.)
· Assistant Strength Coach James Hardy (Danville, Va.)
· LB Ja'Whaun Bentley (Glenarden, Md.)
· CB Cyrus Jones (Baltimore, Md.)
· OL Luke Bowanko (Annapolis, Va.)
Redskins who went to college in New England:
· LB Vontae Diggs (Connecticut)
· Patriots who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
· Running Backs Coach Ivan Fears (William & Mary)
· OL Luke Bowanko (Virginia)
· DB J.C. Jackson (Maryland)
· DB David Jones (Richmond)
Notable Pro Connections:
· Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick (1979-90) coached Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (QB-Player, 1990-91) while both were members of the New York Giants. Belichick served as a Defensive Coordinator and special teams coach.
· Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick (2000-present) coached Quarterbacks Coach Kevin O'Connell (QB-Player, 2008-09) while both were members of the New England Patriots. Belichick served as the Head Coach during O'Connell's time as a player.
· DL Ziggy Hood (2014) and Patriots OL Luke Bowanko (2014-17) were teammates on the Jacksonville Jaguars for a season together.
· LB Pernell McPhee (2011-15) played with Patriots DL Lawrence Guy (2013-17) at the Baltimore Ravens.
· RB Byron Marshall (2016-17) and Patriots WR Jordan Matthews (2014-17) played together at the Philadelphia Eagles.
· LB Zach Brown (2016) and Patriots Stephon Gilmore (2012-17) played together for one season at the Buffalo Bills.
· TE Vernon Davis (2015), RB Kapri Bibbs (2014-16) and Patriots OL James Ferentz (2015-16) were teammates at the Denver Broncos. Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Rauscher (2015-17) was also at the Broncos during this time and served as an Offensive Assistant.
Notable College Connections:
· DL Jonathan Allen (2013-16), LB Ryan Anderson (2013-16), LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (2015-17), DL Daron Payne (2015-17), and WR Cam Sims (2014-17) each played with Patriots CB Cyrus Jones (2012-15) during one point in their career at Alabama.
· OL Tony Bergstrom (2008-12) and Patriots DB Eric Rowe (2011- 14) played together at Utah from 2011-12. DL Tavaris Barnes Sr. (2011-14) and Patriots TE Dwayne Allen (2008-11) played together at Clemson in 2011.
· T Morgan Moses (2009-13) played with Patriots OL Luke Bowanko (2010-13) at Virginia from 2010-13. G Tyler Catalina (2016) played with Patriots OL Isaiah Wynn (2014-17), DL John Atkins (2014-17) and RB Sony Michel (2014-17) at Georgia.
· TE Manasseh Garner (2012-14) and Patriots CB Ryan Lewis (2013-16) played together at Pittsburgh from 2013-14. T T.J. Clemmings (2011-14) played with Patriots LB Nicholas Grigsby (2012-15) at Pittsburgh from 2012-14 and Patriots CB Ryan from 2013-14.
· RB Derrius Guice (2015-17) played at LSU with Patriots QB Danny Etling (2015-16) and DL Frank Herron (2014-17) from 2015-17. LB Jerod Fernandez (2013-17) and Patriots OL Joe Thuney (2012-15) played together at NC State from 2013-15. CB Joshua Holsey (2012-16) and Patriots DB Jonathan Jones (2012-15) and LB Brandon King (2013-14) played together at Auburn from 2012-15.
· CB Quinton Dunbar (2011-14) and Patriots DB Duke Dawson (2014-17) and OL Trent Brown (2011-14) all played together at Florida in 2014.
· CB Quinton Dunbar (2011-14) and Patriots RB Mike Gillislee (2009-12) played together at Florida from 2011-12. TE Jordan Reed (2009-12) played with both Patriots RB Mike Gillislee (2009-12) and OL Trent Brown (2011-14) at Florida between the years 2009-12.
· S D.J. Swearinger (2009-12) and CB Stephon Gilmore (2008-11) played together at South Carolina from 2009-11. G Shawn Lauvao (2006-09) and Patriots DL Lawrence Guy (2007-10) played together at Arizona State from 2007-09.
· QB Kevin Hogan (2012-15) and Patriots DB Jordan Richards (2011-14) played together at Stanford from 2012-14.
· DB Kenny Ladler (2010-13) played with Patriots Adam Butler (2013-16) and Andrew Jelks (2013-16) at Vanderbilt in 2013.
· DB Kenny Ladler (2010-13) and Patriots WR Jordan Matthews (2010-13) played together at Vanderbilt from 2010-13.
· T Timon Parris (2013-17) and Patriots TE Will Tye (2014-15) played together at Stony Brook from 2014-15. G Brandon Scherff (2011-14) and Patriots WR Riley McCarron (2013-16) and OL James Ferentz (2013-16) played together at Iowa from 2013-14.
· G Brandon Scherff (2011-14) and Patriots OL Matt Tobin (2009- 12) played together at Iowa from 2011-12. G Brandon Scherff (2011-14) and Patriots OL Cole Croston (2013- 16) played together at Iowa from 2013-14.
· C Chase Roullier (2013-16) and Patriots TE Jacob Hollister (2013-16) played together at Wyoming from 2013-16. DL Stacy McGee (2009-12), Samaje Perine (2014-16) and Tress Way (2008-12) all played with Patriots Geneo Grissom (2011-14) during their time at Oklahoma.
· LB Pete Robertson (2011-15) played with Patriots OL LaAdrian Waddle (2009-12) at Texas Tech from 2011-12.
· WR Paul Richardson Jr. (2010-13) and Patriots Assistant Strength Coach Moses Cabrera (2010-11) spent a season together at Colorado while Moses was a coach.
· LB Martrell Spaight (2013-14) and TE Jeremy Sprinkle (2013- 16) played under Patriots Nick Caley who was a Graduate Assistant (2013-14) at Arkansas from 2013-14.
· Patriots Special Teams Coach Joe Judge (2009-11) coached G Arie Kounadjio (2010-14) at Alabama in 2010-11. Judge served as a football analyst.
· Redskins Assistant Offensive Line Coach Phil Raushcer played football (2004-05) and served as a Graduate Assistant (2006-07) at UCLA while Patriots WR Matthew Slater was a player from 2004-07.