Skip to main content

News | Washington Commanders -

Drive Of The Game: Redskins Finish First Half With Long Touchdown Drive



This week's Redskins Drive of the Game, presented by Ford, was highlighted by the Redskins response to Philadelphia's game-tying touchdown on an interception return. A 13-play touchdown drive by Washington was the perfect answer.

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins didn't have much time to think about what turned out to be his biggest mistake of the afternoon. His pass intended for Vernon Davis had been intercepted and returned 64 yards for a touchdown. The Redskins' early 14-0 lead had quickly vanished and the game was tied.

"The defensive end came up the field," Cousins said of the interception, "I was forced to do something with the football quickly. I tried to put it on Vernon as quickly as possible and the safety made a good play and was able to undercut it. And that was that."

However, the miscue did not linger in the mind of Cousins as he led the Redskins on an impressive 13-play, 75-yard drive to retake the lead going into halftime of Sunday's 27-20 win over the Philadelphia Eagles. Washington never trailed in the second half.

"It was important to just stay up and know that this game is going to test you," Cousins said. "Moments like (the interception) are going to happen. You have to just keep playing through it and keep playing at a high level and what happened was a good play by them."

With 3:55 remaining in the first half, the Redskins took their time, calling five consecutive runs to open the drive. Matt Jones ran for gains of four, 22 and six yards before giving way to Rob Kelley, who ran for six yards as well. On the first play after the two-minute warning, Chris Thompson ran for five yards. After an incompletion, Cousins turned to his old reliable target, Pierre Garçon, for consecutive completions of 13 and 15 yards, respectively, to move Washington down to the Eagles four-yard line.

After a pair of incomplete passes, the Redskins received a gift. On third-and-goal, Cousins again threw an incomplete pass, but Philadelphia's Fletcher Cox hit Cousins high after the pass and was called for roughing the passer – an automatic first down.

"It's frustrating as heck honestly," Eagles tight end Zach Ertz said after the game. "It's killing us, it's killing us. You can't win having 13 penalties. In this league it is hard enough to win and when you kill yourself with penalties, it's even tougher, and dang near impossible to win."

However, it took a second for the Redskins to take advantage. A first and goal pass to Garçon fell incomplete. Then Thompson was stopped a yard short on second and goal, forcing Washington to use its second timeout. But finally on third down Washington went back to Jones, who took a handoff around the left end and easily strolled into the end zone. Jones finished with 135 of the Redskins' season-high 230 yards rushing.

"It just felt good," Jones said. "I just felt like my [offensive] line took control of the whole game. They were blocking, they were finishing in the second level. That was kind of a big thing all week, just to finish runs and stuff like that. But I felt like we felt great as a whole, it definitely felt good out there just running."

It was the final touchdown Washington scored in Sunday's victory – Dustin Hopkins made a pair of field goals in the second half – as the Redskins defense limited the Eagles to 239 total yards in the win.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.