Skip to main content

News | Washington Commanders -

Mock Madness 2007: Annual Survey of Mock Drafts

In February, defensive tackle Alan Branch was the popular choice. Then it was defensive ends Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson.

Trade winds were blowing in late March. Would the Redskins trade up in the draft to select wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Would the Redskins trade down to acquire more picks?

Now the draft is one week away, and it appears defensive tackle Amobi Okoye is the latest prospect that NFL Draft gurus--and wannabe gurus--project to the Redskins. Closing fast, though, is LSU safety LaRon Landry.

The Redskins hold the No. 6 pick in the April 28-29 NFL Draft. The team should be able to draft an elite player at that position, or make a trade.

So...Let the guessing game continue!

For the third year in a row, does the work for you: We scour the Internet for NFL mock drafts, and update the latest Redskins predictions and analysis from draft experts and fans alike.

-- Vic Carucci,

Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: Carucci is moving away from Jamaal Anderson, and he is headed in the direction of Okoye, who is 6-1, 317 pounds and 19 years old. Notes Carucci: "[Okoye] can be the stout run-stuffing and pocket-collapsing presence the Redskins need."

-- Pat Kirwan,

Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: Kirwan had the Redskins taking Alan Branch in prior mocks. Now it's Okoye. He still believes the Redskins are prime candidates to trade down, and notes that a Chicago-Redskins swap, with outside linebacker Lance Briggs included, could still be in the works.

-- Charles Davis, NFL Network

Pick Six: Gaines Adams, DE, comment: Davis, NFL Network draft analyst, is new to the Mock Madness. Picking Adams for the Redskins is soooo last February.

-- Todd McShay, Scouts, Inc.

Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: McShay jumps on the Okoye bandwagon, noting that the defensive lineman recently ran the 40 in the 4.8-second range during a workout at Louisville.

-- Mel Kiper,

Pick Six: LaRon Landry, S, LSU comment: Kiper's latest mock calls for the Redskins to select Landry, considered one of the top players on the draft board. Landry, making his first appearance in Mock Madness this year, was a four-year starter at LSU and logged 12 career interceptions.

-- Clark Judge, CBS

Pick Six: Alan Branch, DT, comment: Clark Judge has the Redskins taking the first defensive player in the draft--and it's Adams over Alan Branch (who Judge had going to the Redskins in previous mocks). Judge says the Redskins may still trade the pick, but if team officials stays at No. 6, it'll be defense.

-- Pete Prisco, CBS

Pick Six: Jamaal Anderson, DE, comment: Prisco is going back and forth on whether the Redskins will select Gaines Adams or Anderson. For now, it's Anderson, who Prisco claims is "a better fit than [Adams]. He's more of a power player."


Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment:'s Peter Schrager must have a great job. He has published eight--eight!--mock drafts in the last three months. Nice work, if you can find it. Here are his eight picks for the Redskins, in order: Quentin Moses, DE; Alan Branch, DT; Branch; Branch; Branch; Branch; Branch; Amobi Okoye, DT.

-- Yahoo Sports

Pick Six: LaRon Landry, S, comment: Yahoo's John Murphy says that pairing Landry with Sean Taylor would give the Redskins' secondary an immediate boost. Murphy hedges his bets and says Jamaal Anderson and Amobi Okoye are options, too.

-- Pro Football Talk

Pick Six: Redskins trade the No. 6 pick to Buffalo for No. 12 (and presumably more) comment: Pro Football Talk's sixth mock draft has the Redskins selecting Jamaal Anderson with the No. 12 pick. This would seem like a solid move by the Redskins' brass, should the draft play out that way.


Pick Six: Gaines Adams, DE, comment: The popular fantasy football site appears to be sticking with Adams to the end. Adams is a 6-5, 265-pound pass rusher who logged 21.5 sacks the last two years at Clemson.


Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: Well, MSNBC's last mock, which has curiously disappeared from the site, had the Redskins selecting running back Adrian Peterson. Common sense has prevailed at MSNBC, and now their choice for the Redskins is Okoye, who has "tremendous upside" given his age.

-- NFL Draft Countdown

Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: More on Okoye: He's a native of Nigeria who tested into the 9th grade at 12 years old. He was a 16-year-old true freshman at Louisville. Writes "The NFL Draft has never seen a prospect quite like this."

-- NBC Sports

Pick Six: Alan Branch, DT, comment: NBC Sport's Tom Curran says there's a 50 percent chance that Branch will be a Redskin. Gaines Adams draws heavy consideration at 30 percent. What about the last 20 percent? Curran gives it to Penn State offensive lineman Levi Brown. Huh?

-- ExtremeSkins Fan Mock

Pick Six: Redskins trade the No. 6 pick to Miami for No. 9 and second-round comment: Let's check out what the fans think: someone with the moniker "SkinzFan007" predicts a Redskins-Dolphins trade, with the Dolphins moving up to No. 6 to select quarterback Brady Quinn and the Redskins dropping to No. 9 to draft Okoye. With Miami's second-round pick, the Redskins draft Utah defensive end Eric Weddle.

-- Draft Daddy

Pick Six: Gaines Adams, DE, comment: No Mock Madness would be complete without checking in at

-- Draft Connection

Pick Six: LaRon Landry, S, comment: It's rumored that the Detroit Lions are high on Gaines Adams, and if he's off the draft board, then Draft Connection calls for Landry to the Redskins. However, Draft Connection is eying a Redskins-Falcons trade in which Washington gets Jamaal Anderson and the Falcons end up with Landry.

-- The Sports Outlaw

Pick Six: Jamaal Anderson, DE, comment: Don't mess with the Sports Outlaw. This site mocks the draft daily and posts it online. They mean serious business. [Cue music from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."]

-- The

Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: Any Redskins fan site named The Hogs deserves mention. Their mock has the Redskins taking Okoye as the first defensive player selected.

-- NFL Draft Dog

Pick Six: Gaines Adams, DE, comment: Every dog site has its day...and today belongs to (Apparently, a draft dog is a bulldog.) This site has Amobi Okoye going to the Arizona Cardinals at No. 5, so the Redskins settle on Adams.

-- Mock Draft City

Pick Six: Amobi Okoye, DT, comment: "We built this city...on mock drafts." Quick shout out to Starship there, and possibly one of the worst rock and roll songs ever.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.