Skip to main content

News | Washington Commanders -

Redskins Can't Hold Onto Lead, Fall In Overtime To The Saints


Despite going up 31-16 in the fourth quarter, the Redskins were unable to hold onto their lead, falling in overtime to the Saints by a final of 34-31.

Overtime: Redskins 31, Saints 34
After winning the overtime coin toss, Kirk Cousins' first down pass went through the hands of Vernon Davis before the quarterback was sacked on second down. 

Samaje Perine would drop a third down throw from Cousins before Tress Way came out for his fifth punt of the afternoon.

Mark Ingram got New Orleans into Washington territory on his first run of the extra frame before his second run pushed the Saints to the 10-yard line. 

Will Lutz came on for a chip shot field goal, which he would convert on to give Washington its sixth loss of the season.

Fourth Quarter: Redskins 31, Saints 31
Early in the frame Anthony Lanier II recorded his first sack of the season before the Redskins held strong on a 3rd-and-22 completion that netted 19 yards.

While the Redskins were unable to get any traction on their first drive of the fourth quarter, the Saints were able to get back within eight as Will Lutz nailed a 42-yard field goal with a little more than nine minutes left in regulation.

The Redskins would get into Saints territory in just two plays off the made field goal, as Kirk Cousins placed a ball right into the hands of a streaking Vernon Davis for a 36-yard pickup.

Shortly after the completion, the Redskins got a new set of downs off a 17-yard gain by Samaje Perine.

Then on second-and-goal, Washington pushed their lead further on a seven-yard touchdown reception by Jeremy Sprinkle. It was the first catch of Sprinkle's career. 

The Saints, however, responded with an eight-play, 85-yard touchdown drive that was completed by a Drew Brees touchdown pass with less than three minutes remaining in the game.

Off the score from New Orleans, Washington placed the ball into Perine's hands on three straight runs, but the rookie back was unable to get a new set of downs before the two-minute warning. 

Tress Way's punt following the break was fair caught at the 13-yard line with 1:53 left. 

It appeared Kendall Fuller logged his fourth interception of the season on the first play of the drive, but the second-year cornerback was called for illegal hands to the face. 

New Orleans would eventually score another touchdown as Brees found Alvin Kamara for a score with 1:05 left. Kamara also scored the two-point conversion to tie the game.

Cousins would completed back-to-back passes to Jamison Crowder right off the bat on Washington's ensuing drive. 

Then after calling a timeout, Cousins would go back to Crowder once again for another new set of downs.

Cousins' second grounding call of the day set the Redskisn back before a fumble ended play in regulation.

Third Quarter: Redskins 24, Saints 13
The Redskins got the ball first in the third quarter but were set back by an intentional grounding call before Tress Way came out to punt.

Check out the top images from the Washington Redskins' 2017 Week 11 matchup against New Orleans Saints on Nov. 19, 2017, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

On the drive, tackle Ty Nsekhe came in to play left guard. Shawn Lauvao (stinger) is currently questionable to return while Tony Bergstrom replaced the Arizona product in the second quarter.

The Saints' first drive of the quarter would get into Redskins territory before being forced to punt.

New Orleans decided to go for it on a 4th-and-1 from their own 44-yard line as Drew Brees kept the ball for a two-yard pickup before being stopped by Ryan Kerrigan.

The Saints appeared poised to go for it again on fourth down, this time inside Redskins territory, but a delay of game call changed New Orleans' plans.

The Redskins had a scary moment on a third down run after the punt, as Kirk Cousins and Chris Thompson both went down following a bang-bang play. While Cousins was able to get back up slowly, Thompson was carted off the field. He was ruled out for the rest of the game with an ankle injury.

After the run on 4th-and-1, the Redskins caught the Saints off-guard with a fake punt carry by Niles Paul.

The Redskins took advantage of the trickery, as Cousins would hit first down completions to both Paul and Jamison Crowder before the quarterback found a wide-open Ryan Grant for a 40-yard touchdown.

The wide receiver was so open, he jogged into the end zone for his third score of the year. 

Second Quarter: Redskins 17, Saints 10
The Redskins would jump back out to the lead early in the second frame off a one-yard touchdown run by Samaje Perine. It marks the first rushing touchdown of his career.  

Washington decided to go for it on 4th-and-6 from the 39-yard line earlier on the drive as Kirk Cousins found Vernon Davis for a 26-yard completion along the left sideline.

After holding the Saints to their first punt with seven minutes left in the second quarter, Redskins punt returner called for a fair catch at Washington's eight-yard line. The drive would start with a one-yard loss before Cousins found Perine for an eight-yard completion on a swing pass.

The Redskins would get a new set of downs off a Cousins keeper coupled with an unnecessary roughness call, but Washington would be pushed into a 1st-and-20 spot off back-to-back penalties. Chris Thompson would gain 16 back before Cousins found Josh Doctson for a big third down throw.

Doctson currently has four catches for 81 yards. 

After the two-minute warning, Washington avoided another interception late in the second quarter as a pass originally ruled a pick was overturned. 

Nick Rose would come out for a 51-yard attempt, but a penalty on the Redskins forced Tress Way to come out for his first punt of the afternoon. 

The Saints would take advantage of holes in the defense in the final minute of the quarter to put three points on the board off a 38-yard field goal. 

First Quarter: Redskins 10, Saints 10
After winning the opening coin toss, the Redskins deferred to the second half giving Washington's defense an early to make some noise. They did just that on the third play of the game, as safety D.J. Swearinger jumped a deep pass for his third interception in as many quarters.

The pick gave the offense the ball at the New Orleans 47-yard line.

On the opening drive, Matt Ioannidis and Montae Nicholson returned to game action after neither played the last two weeks.

The Redskins were able to put three points on the board off the turnover, as a third down pass to Josh Doctson into the end zone wasn't caught by the second-year wide receiver. He did, however, catch a 21-yard screen pass earlier on the drive to get Washington into field goal range.

The Saints would rebound from their first drive interception with a field goal of their own.

Washington was able to push New Orleans into a 2nd-and-22 situation as Preston Smith sniffed out a reverse, but the Saints would convert on a 3rd-and-9 to keep the drive going before stalling thanks to Ryan Kerrigan's seventh sack of the season. 

The Redskins would strike back with a seven-play, 75-yard touchdown drive capped by a 16-yard score from Kirk Cousins to Chris Thompson. 

Perine had his longest run of the season on the drive, as the rookie had a 30-yard scamper to get the Redskins into Saints territory. He currently has 51 yards on six carries.

After it looked like the Redskins got the Saints off the field quickly following Thompson's touchdown, New Orleans got new life on a roughing the passer call on Preston Smith on an incomplete pass. With a new set of downs, the Saints eventually turned a dead drive into a 36-yard touchdown run by Mark Ingram.

On the final play of the quarter, Cousins would hit Doctson for a 32-yard gain.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.