Monday night's matchup between the Redskins and Cowboys will be the 14th time the two NFC East rivals have squared off on Monday Night Football. That's the most times any two teams have played each other in the NFL's high-profile, prime time Monday game.
Entering Monday night's game, the Cowboys lead the series by 7-6.
The last time the Redskins and Cowboys played each other on Monday Night Football was on Sept. 27, 2004. The Cowboys used a halfback option pass play, with running back Richie Anderson throwing a 26-yard touchdown pass to Terry Glenn, to narrowly defeat the Redskins 21-18 at FedExField.
Among the most memorable Monday night Redskins-Cowboys games was the very first one, on Oct. 8, 1973. In that game, a rematch of the NFC Championship Game a year earlier, safety Kenny Houston stopped running back Walt Garrison to preserve a 14-7 win at RFK Stadium.
On Sept. 5, 1983, the Cowboys defeated Joe Gibbs' the Redskin 31-30 at RFK Stadium on a Monday night. In that game, rookie cornerback Darrell Green chased down Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett on a long run. The Redskins would go on to win 16 of their next 17 games before losing to the Oakland Raiders 38-9 in the Super Bowl.
Redskins vs. Cowboys on Monday Night Football
- 1973: Redskins, 14-7 (in Washington)
- 1978: Redskins, 9-5 (in Washington)
- 1980: Cowboys, 17-3 (in Washington)
- 1983: Cowboys, 31-30 (in Washington)
- 1985: Cowboys, 44-14 (in Dallas)
- 1987: Redskins, 13-7 (in Dallas)
- 1991: Redskins, 33-31 (in Dallas)
- 1992: Cowboys, 23-10 (in Dallas)
- 1993: Redskins, 35-16 (in Washington)
- 1997: Redskins, 21-16 (in Washington)
- 2000: Cowboys, 27-21 (in Washington)
- 2001: Cowboys, 9-7 (in Dallas)
- 2004: Cowboys 21-18 (in Washington)
Monday's matchup also marks the 91st time the two clubs have met since their storied rivalry began in 1960. The two teams have played at least twice per year since 1961, the exception being the strike-shortened 1982 season.
Entering Monday's game, Dallas leads the all-time regular season series 54-32-2, with victories in 14 of the last 15 contests. The Redskins have won twice against Dallas in the postseason.
The Redskins have not won at Texas Stadium since 1995.
Since the inception of Monday Night Football in 1970, the Redskins are 24-27 all-time on the nationally televised Monday night game.