News | Washington Commanders -

Taylor Seriously Injured In Miami Shooting

Sean Taylor was hospitalized on Monday after he was the victim of a shooting at his home in Miami.

Head coach Joe Gibbs called Taylor's situation "extremely serious."

On Monday evening, there was some positive news to come from Miami. Vice president of football opertions Vinny Cerrato phoned Redskins Park to update media on Taylor's condition.

Taylor had shown signs of improving, but he remained in critical condition, Cerrato said.

Earlier, Gibbs addressed the media in a late afternoon press conference.

"For all of us here, we are obviously in shock," Gibbs said. "I know I can't put it into words. I wouldn't do a good job of explaining how we feel. I know all of our fans out there are praying.

"All of us are emotional and caught up in it. We are praying for the absolute best for Sean and his family."

The heart-wrenching day began early Monday morning, when team officials were notified of a shooting incident involving Taylor. He underwent surgery and was in intensive care at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

At 10 a.m. ET on Monday, the Redskins released a statement with the first news of Taylor's incident. Here is the full text of the statement:

"The Washington Redskins became aware of a situation this morning in which safety Sean Taylor was the victim of a shooting at his residence in Florida.

"The Miami Dade Police Department is currently investigating the situation.

"Taylor is currently undergoing treatment at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Florida."

Taylor has been rehabbing from a knee injury suffered two weeks ago. He was last at Redskins Park on Saturday morning.

He did not travel with the team for Sunday's game in Tampa Bay, and instead headed home to Miami to be with his fiance and 1-year old daughter.

On Monday atfernoon, the Redskins held a team meeting at Redskins Park. Gibbs updated players on Taylor's situation. Brett Fuller, the team chaplain, led a prayer for Taylor after the meeting.

Mid-day, Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder spoke to the media.

"On behalf of the Redskins, the players and everyone here at the Redskins, our hearts and prayers go out to Sean and his family. A group of Redskins and I are on our way to Miami now.

"I really don't have any details other than what everyone else has been reading and reporting. Our hearts and prayers are with Sean and his family."

Snyder left Redskins Park shortly thereafter to fly to Miami. He was accompanied by Cerrato, director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer and Clinton Portis.

Cerrato said that Taylor had shown signs of responsiveness, something that he hadn't shown immediately after surgery.

"He was responsive to the doctor's request to squeeze his hand and show facial expressions," Cerrato said. "The doctors were very happy about that. It's positive news. The doctors came in and told us, and they were excited about that."

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.