Commanders quarterback Taylor Heinicke went viral last month after the media learned he celebrates wins by buying a pair of Air Jordans in the color of the opponent Washington just defeated. A handful of victories and several sneakers later, head coach Ron Rivera aired his feelings on the quarterback's fun tradition.
"I think it's cool. I really do because it's kind of Taylor's shtick right now," Rivera said.
There has been positive energy percolating around the facility in recent weeks, as Washington has won five of its last six games. Those victory vibes have perhaps cracked the door open for some playful opportunities for both coaches and players
"And just so you know, I poked a little bit of fun at him the other day. I broke out my own Jordans just to get on him a little bit," Rivera said before pulling out the green-and-white kicks behind his desk. "Best part of it was I put on a Taylor Heinicke t-shirt too."
Recently, Heinicke has been spreading the shoe love to his teammates who have responded with excitement. On and off the field, this quarterback has a way of generating camaraderie and good feeling.
"It's kind of funny, because I got some of the defensive guys screaming at him, 'Hey, why don't you get us a couple?'" Rivera said. "So who knows, right now I know he is working on the tight ends…Last week did the offensive line. So, it's kind of a neat thing."
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the Commanders activating Chase Young.
- The Washington Post's Scott Allen analyzes the 'hails' and 'fails' of Washington's win over Houston.
- The Athletic's Ben Standig writes about why the Commanders duo of Jon Allen and Daron Payne is so dominant.
- ESPN's John Keim writes about why the Commanders are sticking with Taylor Heinicke at quarterback.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes that Washington showed maturity against Texans.
- NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay gives his stock report for the Commanders after their win over the Texans.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the Commanders announcing Taylor Heinicke as the starter.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about the Commanders routing the Texans.
- The Washington Post's Scott Allen gives four takeaways from the Commanders' win over the Texans.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the defense dominating their opponents.
- The Washington Post's Candace Buckner gives her perspective on the Commanders' 2022 season.
- The Athletic's Ben Standig writes about Rivera's plans for Chase Young, Carson Wentz.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the viral Commanders' song.
Check out the top photos of the Washington Commanders taking on the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. (Emilee Fails/Washington Commanders)