Additional notes on the 2013 NFL Draft selections of cornerback David Amerson and tight end Jordan Reed, as compiled by Redskins Public Relations.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF DAVID AMERSON
- The selection marks the earliest the Redskins have taken a defensive back since selecting cornerback LaRon Landry out of LSU with the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.
The selection marks the earliest a Mike Shanahan-coached team has taken a defensive back since selecting cornerback Willie Middlebrooks out of Minnesota with the No. 24 overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft as head coach of the Denver Broncos. * Amerson is the sixth defensive back selected by a Mike Shanahan-coached team in the first 51 picks of a draft, joining Middlebrooks, Kenoy Kennedy (No. 45, DEN 2000), Deltha O'Neal (No. 15, DEN 2000), Tory James (No. 44, DEN 1996) and Terry McDaniel (No. 9, LA Raiders 1988). * Amerson is the fifth defensive back drafted by the Redskins in the Shanahan era, joining DeJon Gomes (No. 146, 2011), Brandyn Thompson (No. 213, 2011), Richard Crawford (No. 213, 2012) and Jordan Bernstine (No. 217, 2012). * Amerson is the seventh player from NC State selected by the Redskins all-time and the second in the Common Draft era. Below are the six previous NC State products drafted by the Redskins:
|1937||10||96||E||Dom "Mac" Cara|
- Amerson is the first NC State product drafted by a Mike Shanahan-coached team.
- Amerson is the fifth player to be selected by the Redskins with the No. 51 pick of a draft all-time, joining the following players:
Year Round Pick Position Player College 1945 6 51 E Johnny North Vanderbilt 1953 5 51 B Nick Carras Missourri 1997 2 51 LB Greg Jones Colorado 2008 2 51 WR Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma
- Amerson shares his overall selection with Redskins Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, who was selected with the No. 51 overall selection in the 1979 NFL Draft.
- Amerson is the fourth Atlantic Coast Conference product selected by the Redskins in the Shanahan era, joining Jarvis Jenkins (2011, Clemson), Leonard Hankerson (2011, Miami) and Markus White (2011, Florida State).
- Amerson's selection at No. 51 marked the latest the Redskins had selected their first pick of a draft since taking defensive tackle Tracy Rocker from Auburn with their first selection of the 1989 NFL Draft at No. 66 overall.
- Amerson is the Redskins' 28th pick of the Mike Shanahan era.
- Amerson is the 425th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 33rd second-round selection in that time frame. He is the 51st second-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JORDAN REED
- The selection marks the earliest the Redskins have taken a tight end since selecting Fred Davis out of the University of Southern California with the No. 48 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. He is the first tight end selected by the Redskins in the Mike Shanahan era.
Reed is the second tight end selected by the Redskins in the third round all-time, joining Utah State's Chris Cooley, the team's all-time leader in receptions by a tight end, who was selected by Washington with the No. 81 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. * Reed is the 12th player from the University of Florida selected by the Redskins all-time and the fifth Gator selected by the Redskins in the Common Draft era. * Reed is only the second player all-time selected by the Redskins at No. 85 overall, joining Kansas running back Bert Coan (1962). * Reed is the seventh college tight end selected by a Shanahan-coached team and the first since Tony Scheffler, who was selected by Shanahan's Denver Broncos in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. * Reed is the third Southeastern Conference product drafted by the Redskins in the Shanahan era, joining college teammate Maurice Hurt (2011) and LSU linebacker Perry Riley (2010). * Reed is the eighth player from the University of Florida selected by a Shanahan-coached team, the most of any school. * Reed is the third player selected by the Redskins in the Shanahan era to have played for a school at which Shanahan used to coach, joining Hurt (Florida, 2011) and tackle Trent Williams (Oklahoma, 2010). Including Shanahan's time in Los Angeles and Denver, Reed is the 18th player taken by a Shanahan-coached team to come from a university at which Shanahan has coached in his career (Oklahoma, Northern Arizona, Eastern Illinois, Minnesota and Florida). * Reed is the Redskins' 29th pick of the Mike Shanahan era. * Reed is the 426th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 29th third-round selection in that time frame.