Series history, broadcast information, connections and more from Thursday's Redskins-Ravens 2017 Preseason Week 1 matchup at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.
PRESEASON WEEK 1WASHINGTON REDSKINS (0-0) at BALTIMORE RAVENS (0-0)
Thursday, August 10 | 7:30 p.m. ET
M&T Bank Stadium (71,008) | Baltimore, Md.
The Washington Redskins will open their 2017 preseason slate on Thursday when the team travels north to face the Baltimore Ravens. Kickoff at M&T Bank Stadium is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
The game will be simulcast on NBC4 and CSN Mid-Atlantic, with Kenny Albert and Joe Theismann calling the game from the booth and Clinton Portis reporting from the sidelines.
The start of the preseason will function as yet another test of the organizational depth the team believes it has created.
"We feel good about our depth. Like I said, it's the best I've felt about our depth this year in training camp, at every position," Head Coach Jay Gruden said at the outset of camp. "You know, the challenge is going to be to get everybody the reps, let them all compete to find out the best 53, that's the most important thing. We have got to utilize the time out here on the practice fields and in the preseason games, we have to really manage playing time effectively to give these guys opportunities to show what they can do so we pick the right 53 for [Week 1 against] Philly."
SERIES HISTORY--All-time regular season series tied, 3-3
--Redskins trail all-time preseason series, 3-6
--Last meeting: Oct. 19, 2016 (16-10, WAS)
TELEVISION: CSN Mid-Atlantic/NBC4--Chick Hernandez (play-by-play)
--Joe Theismann (color)
--Clinton Portis (sidelines)
RADIO: Redskins Radio Network
--Larry Michael (play-by-play)
--Sonny Jurgensen (color)
--Chris Cooley (analysis)
--Rick "Doc" Walker (sidelines)
Check out the top images from the Washington Redskins' defense and special teams in their 2016 Week 5 matchup against the Baltimore Ravens Oct. 9, 2016, at M&T Bank Stadium.
The Baltimore Ravens enter the 2017 preseason following an 8-8 campaign in 2016 in which they finished second in the AFC North. This season will be the team's 10th under the purview of Head Coach John Harbaugh.
Joe Flacco returns as the team's incumbent at quarterback in his 10th NFL season. The 2016 season marked his first 4,000-yard campaign, as he completed 436-of-672 passes (64.9 percent) for 4,317 yards with 20 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. Flacco has started 138-of-144 regular season games throughout his nine years with the Ravens.
Running back Terrance West led the Ravens in rushing a year ago, posting 774 rushing yards on 193 carries including five touchdowns. Running back Kenneth Dixon contributed 382 rushing yards on 88 carries and added a rushing touchdown as well.
Wide receiver Mike Wallace posted a team-high 1,017 receiving yards in 2016 and was second among all Ravens players in touchdown receptions (four) and receptions (72). Wide receiver Steve Smith Sr., now retired, led the team with five touchdown receptions. Tight end Dennis Pitta led the team in receptions (86) for 729 yards. but was released by the organization in June.
Linebacker Zachary Orr paced the Ravens with a team-high 132 total tackles (91 solo) in 2016. Linebacker Terrell Suggs recorded a team-high 8.0 sacks, and safety Eric Weddle and linebacker C.J. Mosley led the Ravens with four interceptions each.
Justin Tucker, now in his sixth NFL season, enters the 2017 preseason after a 2016 season in which he led the NFL in field goals made (38) and finished second among all NFL players in total points (141). Bryant was 38-of-39 (97.4 percent) on field goal attempts in 16 games for the Ravens last season.
Devin Hester, not returning for the 2017 season, served as the team's primary kick and punt returner in 2016. He averaged 24.5 yards per return on 19 kickoff returns and 7.2 yards per return on 25 punt returns. Chris Moore averaged 23.1 yards per return on seven kickoff returns in 2016.
Thursday's matchup between the Redskins and Ravens will mark the 10th preseason meeting between the two teams all-time. The Ravens lead the all-time preseason series, 6-3.
Check out the top images from the Washington Redskins' offense in their 2016 Week 5 matchup against the Baltimore Ravens Oct. 9, 2016, at M&T Bank Stadium.
Included below are the nine previous preseason games played between the two teams dating back to their first meeting in 2003:
- 8/23/2003 vs. Baltimore 24-3 W
- 9/1/2005 at Baltimore 26-20 L
- 8/31/2006 vs. Baltimore 17-10 L
- 8/25/2007 vs. Baltimore 13-7 W
- 8/13/2009 at Baltimore 23-0 L
- 8/21/2010 vs. Baltimore 23-3 L
- 8/25/2011 at Baltimore 34-31 L
- 8/23/2014 at Baltimore 23-17 L
- 8/29/2015 at Baltimore 31-13 W
The Redskins and Ravens have met in regular season play six times, dating back to the teams' first meeting in 1997. Last season, the Redskins tied the all-time series at 3-3.
The Redskins have won each of the teams' last two regular season meetings in dramatic fashion. In 2012, quarterback Trent Williams entered in reserve and forced overtime with a touchdown pass and a quarterback draw for a two-point conversion. In overtime, a 64-yard punt return by cornerback Richard Crawford set-up a 34yard game-winning field goal over the eventual Super Bowl champion Ravens. The victory came as part of the Redskins' seven-game winning streak to close the team's NFC East championship season.
Last year, the Redskins fended off a late charge from the Ravens in which an apparent game-tying touchdown by Baltimore was overturned on review. Three plays later, the Redskins forced a turnover on downs to secure the team's first regular season win in the city of Baltimore since defeating the Baltimore Colts, 14-13, at Memorial Stadium on Oct. 23, 1955.
Included below are the six previous regular season games contested between the Redskins and Ravens:
- 10/26/1997 vs. Baltimore 20-17 L
- 10/15/2000 vs. Baltimore 10-3 W
- 10/10/2004 vs. Baltimore 17-10 L
- 12/7/2008 at Baltimore 24-10 L
- 12/9/2012 vs. Baltimore 31-28 (OT) W
- 10/9/2016 at Baltimore 16-10 W
NOTABLE REDSKINS/RAVENS CONNECTIONS
Former Ravens on Redskins:
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh (1999-2004)
- LB Chris Carter [2015-16]
- Assistant Special Teams Coach Chris Horton (safety, 2008-10)
Redskins who played high school football in Maryland:
- LB Zach Brown [Columbia]
- CB Jonathan Allen [Olney]
- WR Levern Jacobs (Forestville)
- G Arie Kouandjio (Hyattsville)
- WR Zach Pascal (Upper Marlboro)
- DL Phil Taylor Sr. (Brandywine)
Ravens from the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- G Jarell Broxton [Gaithersburg, Md.]
- RB Terrance West [Baltimore, Md.]
- CB Maurice Canady [Richmond, Va.]
- S Chuck Clark [Suffolk, Va.]
- RB Taquan Mizzell [Virginia Beach, Va.]
- RB Lorenzo Taliaferro [Yorktown, Va.]
- QB Josh Woodrum [Roanoke, Va.]
Redskins who went to college in Maryland:
- TE Vernon Davis (Maryland)
- DL A.J. Francis (Maryland)
- WR Levern Jacobs (Maryland)
Ravens who went to college in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area:
- CB Maurice Canady [Virginia]
- RB Taquan Mizzell [Virginia]
- DE Brent Urban [Virginia]
- S Chuck Clark [Virginia Tech]
- TE Ryan Malleck [Virginia Tech]
- WR Keenan Reynolds [Navy]
- RB Terrance West [Towson]
Notable Pro Connections: (Extensive connections with former Redskins coaches excluded)
- Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica and Ravens Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Marty Mornhinweg worked together with the New York Jets in 2013.
- Defensive QC Cannon Matthews and Ravens Offensive Line Coach Joe D'Alessandris worked together with the Buffalo Bills from 2010-11.
- Quarterbacks Coach Kevin O'Connell and Ravens Wide Receivers Coach Bobby Engram worked together with the San Francisco 49ers in 2016.
- Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh and Ravens Offensive Assistant Andy Bischoff worked together with the Chicago Bears from 2013-14.
- Outside Linebackers Coach Chad Grimm and Ravens Offensive Line Coach Joe D'Alessandris worked together with the San Diego Chargers from 2013-14.
- Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula and Ravens Senior Offensive Assistant Greg Roman worked together with the San Francisco 49ers from 2011-14.
- Ravens Wide Receivers Coach Bobby Engram also worked with the 49ers in the 2011 and 2014-16 seasons.
- Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken [2001-09] and Ravens Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Marty Mornhinweg [2001-02] worked together with the Detroit Lions. Ravens Defensive Line Coach Joe Cullen also worked with the Lions between the 2006-08 seasons.
- DL Terrell McClain played with Ravens CB Brandon Carr on the Dallas Cowboys from 2014-16. McClain also played with Ravens QB Dustin Vaughn (2014) and Ravens WR Vince Mayle (2015-16) on the Cowboys.
- McClain played with Ravens RB Daniel Woodhead and QB Ryan Mallett on the New England Patriots in 2012.
- S D.J. Swearinger also played with Mallett on the Houston Texans in 2014. Swearinger played with Ravens S Tony Jefferson on the Arizona Cardinals from 2015-16.
- DL A.J. Francis played with Ravens WR Chris Matthews on the Seattle Seahawks in 2015.
- G Shawn Lauvao played with Ravens RB Bobby Rainey on the Cleveland Browns in 2013.
- LB Mason Foster played with Ravens RB Bobby Rainey on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2013-14.
- S D.J. Swearinger also played with Rainey on the Buccaneers in 2015.
- DL Ziggy Hood played with Ravens WR Mike Wallace on the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2009-12.
- LB Chris Carter also played with Wallace on the Steelers from 2011-13.
- DL A.J. Francis played with Ravens WR Mike Wallace on the Miami Dolphins in 2013.
- WR Matt Hazel also played with Wallace on the Dolphins in 2014.
- G Shawn Lauvao and QB Colt McCoy played with Ravens TE Ben Watson on the Cleveland Browns from 2010-12.
- LB Junior Galette also played Watson on the New Orleans Saints from 2013-14.
- T Vinston Painter played with Ravens RB Terrance West on the Cleveland Browns in 2014. LB Zach Brown also played with West on the Tennessee Titans in 2015.
- LB Mason Foster played with Ravens RB Bobby Rainey on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2013-14. S D.J. Swearinger also played with Rainey on the Buccaneers in 2015. DL Ziggy Hood played with Ravens WR Mike Wallace on the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2009-12. LB Chris Carter also played with Wallace on the Steelers from 2011-13. DL A.J. Francis played with Ravens WR Mike Wallace on the Miami Dolphins in 2013. WR Matt Hazel also played with Wallace on the Dolphins in 2014. G Shawn Lauvao and QB Colt McCoy played with Ravens TE Ben Watson on the Cleveland Browns from 2010-12. LB Junior Galette also played Watson on the New Orleans Saints from 2013-14. T Vinston Painter played with Ravens RB Terrance West on the Cleveland Browns in 2014. LB Zach Brown also played with West on the Tennessee Titans in 2015.
Notable College Connections:
- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan and Ravens Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Marty Mornhinweg worked together at Northern Arizona in 1988.
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti and Ravens Defensive Backs Coach Mike Macdonald worked together at Georgia from 2011-13.
- Inside Linebackers Coach Kirk Olivadotti coached at Georgia from 2011-13 during the playing careers of Ravens CB Brandon Boykin  and C Brandon Kublanow .
- CB Fabian Moreau played for UCLA when Ravens Assistant Special Teams Coach Chris Horton coached there from 2012-13. Moreau also played with Ravens CB Sheldon Price at UCLA in 2012.
- LB Trent Murphy played for Stanford when Ravens Senior Offensive Assistant/Tight Ends Coach Greg Roman coached there in 2010. Murphy also played with Ravens WR Griff Whalen at Stanford from 2010-11.
- Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray coached Ravens S Chuck Clark at Virginia Tech from 2013-15.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan coached at North Carolina when Ravens T James Hurst played there from 2012-13.
- LB Zach Brown played with Hurst at North Carolina from 2010-11.
- Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan worked with Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Bill Callahan at Nebraska when Ravens P Sam Koch played there from 2004-05.
- DL Jonathan Allen and LB Ryan Anderson played with Ravens OLB Tim Williams at Alabama from 2013-16.
- G Tyler Catalina and LB Josh Harvey-Clemons played with Ravens C Brandon Kublanow at Georgia in 2013.
- LB Will Compton (2010-12), C Spencer Long (2010-12) and TE Niles Paul (2010) played with Ravens WR Kenny Bell at Nebraska.
- S Su'a Cravens played with Ravens RB Javorius Allen at USC from 2013-14.
- WR Jamison Crowder played with Ravens C Matt Skura at Duke from 2012-14.
- S Deshazor Everett played with Ravens G/T Jermaine Eluemunor at Texas A&M in 2014.
- QB Colt McCoy played with Ravens K Justin Tucker at Texas from 2008-09.
- CB Kendall Fuller played with Ravens S Chuck Clark and TE Ryan Malleck at Virginia Tech from 2013-15.
- T Vinston Painter also played at Virginia Tech with Malleck from 2011-12.
- DL Stacy McGee and P Tress Way played with Ravens S Tony Jefferson at Oklahoma from 2010-12.
- DL Matt Ioannidis played with Ravens CB Tavon Young at Temple from 2012-15.
- T Morgan Moses played with Ravens DE Brent Urban at Virginia from 2009-13.
- Ravens CB Maurice Canady and RB Taquan Mizzell also played at Virginia in 2013.
- DL Ziggy Hood played with Ravens WR Jeremy Maclin at Missouri from 2007-08.
- DL Joey Mbu played with Ravens OLB Tyus Bowser at Houston from 2013-14.
- G Brandon Scherff played with Ravens DT Carl Davis at Iowa from 2011-14.
*Keep it locked for more Redskins coverage on ESPN 980 and televised programming. *
ESPN 980 programming streaming live on Redskins.com and the Redskins' official mobile app:
Thursday 8/10: Inside The Locker Room from 1-2 p.m.
Friday 8/11: The Cooley And Kevin Show from 8-9 a.m.
Friday 8/11: Inside The Locker Room from 1-2 p.m.
Upcoming television programming:
Thursday 8/10: Redskins vs. Ravens, NBC/CSN 7:30 p.m.
Saturday 8/12: Redskins vs. Ravens replay, CSN 10 a.m.
Saturday 8/12: NFL Films Washington Redskins Year In Review, CSN 6:30 p.m.
Saturday 8/12: Redskins vs. Ravens replay, CSN 7 p.m.