Skip to main content

News | Washington Commanders -

Redskins Fall To Jets, 34-20


The Washington Redskins quickly saw their 13-10 halftime lead disappear in their 34-20 loss Sunday to the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium.

The Washington Redskins' third quarter woes of 2015 struck again on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, where the New York Jets needed less than 15 minutes to turn a 13-10 halftime deficit into a 27-13 lead, en route to their 34-20 victory.

Check out these top photos from the Washington Redskins' 2015 Week 6 matchup against the New York Jets Oct. 18, 2015, at MetLife Stadium.

It's the second-straight loss for the Redskins (2-4), who return home to FedExField next Sunday to play host to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-3) before their Bye Week.

The foruth quarter featured a lot of passing for Washington's offense, which was trying to play catch-up after the big third quarter for New York.

The Jets opened up the final quarter with 1st and Goal from the Washington 6-yard line, and two plays later found the end zone via two-yard pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Eric Decker. After the extra point, the Jets had extended their lead to 34-13 with 14:22 remaining in the game.

Washington was forced to punt after an uneventful ensuing drive, but this time around, the Jets were finally unable to put any points on the scoreboard, missing a 49-yard field goal attempt short.

The Redskins were unable to cash in, however. They got to the New York 2-yard line but a pass from Kirk Cousins to Jamison Crowder on 4th and Goal fell incomplete.

Washington did make a great special teams play on the ensuing drive. After the defense forced the Jets to punt from their 6-yard line, safety Jeron Johnson busted through and blocked the Ryan Quigley kick in the end zone. Wide receiver Rashad Ross fell on the ball for the touchdown, completing the Redskins' first blocked punt since the 2006 season.

It was a rare highlight in a second half from which the Redskins will quickly move on.

The Jets were able to run the clock out from that point, improving their record to 4-1.


The Redskins entered Sunday's game against the Jets being outscored a combined 32-3 in the third quarter of their five games so far in 2015.

They didn't exactly do much to improve upon that trend Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

The Redskins quickly saw their 13-10 halftime lead evaporate in the third quarter, when the Jets would tie it up on a field goal on their opening possession of the second half, and then use a Darrelle Revis interception to spark an 18-yard touchdown run by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Yes, you read that correctly.

In less than five minutes, the Jets turned a 13-10 deficit into a 20-13 lead, giving them all of the momentum in front of their home crowd.

The Redskins couldn't get much going on their ensuing drive and were forced to punt. They did attempt their first deep pass attempt of the game, but it fell incomplete over Rashad Ross' head.

The Jets would keep piling on on their ensuing drive, using a 35-yard touchdown pass from Fitzpatrick to Brandon Marshall -- and an extra point -- to extend their lead to 27-13 with 5:53 left in the third quarter.

Talk about a quick turnaround.

The problems would only get worse from there, as Cousins threw his second interception of the quarter, this time by safety Marcus Gilchrist, with 3:26 remaining in the third quarter.

The Jets are set up with a 1st and Goal from the Washington 6 when action picks back up in the fourth quarter.


The Jets used more big plays in chunks on their first drive of the second quarter, but fortunately for the Redskins' defense, they were able to bend, but not break.

Starting the quarter with a 2nd and 9 from their own 10, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, on 3rd and 9, scrambled up the middle for a 15-yard pickup and the first down.

The very next play, running back Chris Ivory rumbled his way down the sideline for 54 yards. Had cornerback Bashaud Breeland not taken a great angle at Ivory, then he certainly would've been much closer than the 21-yard line.

The Redskins' defense would put the clamps on from there, however, and forced a 35-yard Nick Folk field goal, giving the Jets their first lead of the game, 10-7, with 11:39 remaining in the second quarter.

The ensuing Washington drive would not be pretty. On second down, Cousins was sacked by Sheldon Richardson, who is playing his first game of the season after serving a four-game suspension to start the year. It was the first sack allowed this season by first-round pick Brandon Scherff.

The Redskins would be forced to punt, a 49-yard kick returned seven yards to the New York 37-yard line. But the Jets wouldn't get any huge plays this time around, and would be forced to punt, as well.

The Redskins began their ensuing drive from their own 11. But after converting one first down, the punting party would continue. A lucky couple bounces forward for punter Tress Way would negate a shanked punt that got to the New York 42-yard line.

Then Breeland made another play -- this one even more impressive than his earlier angle earlier on Ivory.

On a pass from Fitzpatrick to Brandon Marshall, Breeland wrapped up the big wide receiver and simply stole the ball from his grip at the Washington 45-yard line. Breeland became the first Redskins defender to recover two fumbles in the same game since LaVar Arrington did so against the Dallas Cowboys Dec. 29, 2002.

A little trickeration on the ensuing Redskins drive wouldn't work, as Jay Gruden dialed up a wide receiver pass for Jamison Crowder. With no receivers open downfield, however, Crowder did the right thing, throwing the ball out of bounds instead of trying to force something.

Kicker Dustin Hopkins would tie the game at 10 with 2:17 remaining in the second quarter with a career-long 54-yard field goal.

Hopkins has been everything the Redskins could've asked for when he was brought on board prior to their Week 2 matchup against the St. Louis Rams. Nearly all of his kickoffs soar out of bounds for touchbacks and he's been money from long distance so far this season.

The Jets operated in their two-minute offense to end the first half, starting with an impressive one-handed grab by Marshall for a gain of 13. They got across the 50 and into Redskins' territory on a seven-yard pass from Fitzpatrick to wide receiver Quincy Enunwa to the Washington 44.

But two plays later, it was Breeland, again, who made an impressive play. Covering Marshall, he batted the pass while diving and caught it before it hit the turf, earning his third takeaway of the game (two fumble recoveries and an interception).

Cousins and Co. would perform well with little time, getting a 16-yard completion to the New York 20-yard line on a terrific touch pass to Ryan Grant, who made a nice catch along the sideline and got out of bounds with 16 seconds left.

An incomplete pass to Garçon and an eight-yard run by Chris Thompson got Washington to the 12-yard line with five seconds left. Dustin Hopkins' 30-yard field goal was good, and the Redskins took a 13-10 lead going into halftime.


The Redskins, who received the opening kickoff, began their first drive of the game from their own 13 after solid coverage by the Jets on returner Rashad Ross.

They quickly faced a 3rd and 7 after an incomplete pass and a three-yard run by running back Alfred Morris, who is sure to get more carries today with rookie running back Matt Jones out with a toe injury.

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins was able to find wide receiver Pierre Garçon for a six-yard gain, but just short of the first down marker, forcing an early three-and-out and punt.

After that punt – a 53-yard kick by Tress Way that was fair caught at the New York 25-yard line – the Redskins immediately got a huge play defensively. Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick found Eric Decker for an 11-yard gain on first down, but rookie safety Kyshoen Jarrett stripped the ball out of Decker's hands, which was recovered by Bashaud Breeland at the New York 37-yard line.

The Redskins would cash in this time.

After a nifty screen play to Jamison Crowder which resulted in a 12-yard gain, the Redskins faced a 3rd and 5 from the Jets' 20 when Cousins found Ryan Grant for the first down on a tough catch by the second-year receiver out of Tulane. Now the Redskins were in business.

Washington got to the New York 3-yard line after a pass from Cousins to Morris, and two plays later, Cousins found Garçon on a quick slant for a 2-yard touchdown. It is the sixth straight game in which Cousins has thrown a touchdown pass – the longest such streak of his career.

The Redskins were able to capitalize on a turnover forced by their defense, something with which they haven't had huge success thus far this season.

The Jets got going on their second drive of the game, utilizing a lot of running back Chris Ivory. But they faced a 3rd and 6 on the Washington 36 when they struck big, as Fitzpatrick  found Decker, who made up for his earlier blunder for a 35-yard gain to the Washington 1-yard line.

Two plays later, the Jets cashed in on 1-yard touchdown run by Ivory. It was the culmination of an impressive 11-play, 83-yard scoring drive that took 6:01 off the clock.

The Jets showed off impressive coverage once again on the ensuing kickoff. Ross caught the kick at the 4-yard line, but could only muster 12 yards to get to the Washington 16.

After two quick plays -- a Morris run and Garçon catch -- Cousins hooked up with tight end Derek Carrier, who was wide open down the middle of the field, for a gain of 20 and the first down. Carrier, starting in place of the injured Jordan Reed, had his first-career touchdown catch last week vs. Atlanta and appears to be getting much more comfortable in the Redskins' offense.

But the Redskins couldn't quite get going from there. An eight-yard pass to fullback Darrel Young went for naught, and Washington couldn't get two more yards on the next two plays, barely missing on an over-the-top pass attempt to Chris Thompson on third down, and forcing another punt.

The play could prove costly for the Redskins, who were already battling more than their fair share of injuries, as Thompson injured his lower back on the play. His return to the game is questionable.

The Jets took over after the punt at their own 9-yard line, and are driving when we pick back up in the second quarter.




This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content