Curtis Samuel’s nickname is Curtco, and after the first two weeks of the 2022 season, that might just now stand for Curtco(nfident).
Samuel's mental and physical confidence, which has grown incrementally since the offseason, has allowed him to make plays he did not feel like he was capable of making last year while dealing with injuries.
"Physically, I feel really good, I feel real confident… I'm able to go out there and make guys miss, make those quick, fast cuts," Samuel told Julie Donaldson on a recent episode of "Command Center." "Last year, I didn't have the confidence, and I know I couldn't do it."
The wide receiver is not only feeling confident in himself, but also in the players with which he is working closest. Before joining up in Washington, Samuel and Commanders offensive coordinator Scott Turner were at the Panthers together. The familiarity the two have with one another, Samuel believes, helps Turner feel confident in experimenting with ways to use Samuel.
"He's not afraid to try different things just because of the fact I've been around, and he's seen the things that I do," Samuel said. "I'm grateful for the opportunities that Coach is giving me and trusting me to make types of plays."
So far, Samuel has been validating that trust, having scored touchdowns in Week 1 and Week 2. And finally, that confidence also extends to the other wide receiver with which he shares the locker room. Does not matter if its him, Dotson, McLaurin or someone else who gets the ball in the end zone, scoring so that the team can win is the ultimate focus.
"We've got a bunch of guys that can real really do something out there on the field, and I feel like that helps the offense a lot," Samuel said. "It's all about scoring the ball, winning the game, whether I do it or I block for somebody else do it. That's all it's about."
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- The Richmond Times-Dispatch's Michael Phillips writes about the gratitude Carson Wentz has for his time in Philly.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Carson Wentz's "excitement" in facing the Eagles.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala reports on the Commanders placing Chase Roullier on IR.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala also looks at the Commanders' defensive miscues.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about Rivera's thoughts on Jahan Dotson being an example of top-notch drafting.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also answers questions from his mailbag.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd looks Jonathan Allen's comments about Jalen Hurts.
- The Athletic's Ben Standig opens his notebook on a variety of Commanders topics.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux looks at the Commanders plan for filling an injured Chase Roullier's place.
- The Washington Times' Matthew Paras writes about the six explosive plays that hurt the Commanders.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier looks at the offensive line during the Commanders' Week 2 loss.
- The Washington Post's Barry Svrluga gives his opinion on the Commanders' defense.
The Washington Commanders have begun preparing for their first NFC East division matchup of the year. Check out the photos from Wednesday's practice ahead of the Week 3 game against the Philadelphia Eagles. Photos by Emilee Fails and Kourtney Carroll/Washington Commanders
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- Practice report | Carson Wentz appreciates his time in Philly but has team-first focus in Week 3
- Hail Mail | Updates on Kam Curl, Brian Robinson and more
- Commanders vs. Eagles preview | An early division matchup
- 'A team guy right to the end': Reflecting on the legacy of Washington Legend Jerry Smith ahead of Pride Night Out
- From the booth | I'd rather circle the wagons now
- Commanders looking for consistency after roller coaster start to the season
- Numbers to know from Washington's Week 2 loss to Detroit
- Commanders-Lions Stats & Snaps
- 5 takeaways from Washington's Week 2 loss to Detroit
- Instant Analysis | Commanders sputter in first half, fall to Lions in 36-27 defeat