Check out notes on new Washington Redskins edge Montez Sweat, the No. 26 pick in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft, courtesy of Redskins Public Relations.
- Sweat is the 476th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 31st first-round selection in that time frame. He is the 62nd first-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
- Sweat's selection marks the third straight year in which the Redskins have selected a defensive player with a first-round pick of the draft joining Jonathan Allen (No. 17 overall in 2017), and Daron Payne (No. 13 overall in 2018). This is the first time in team history the Redskins selected defensive players with a first-round pick selection in three consecutive drafts.
- Sweat is the 11th defensive player selected by the Redskins in the first round since 1999, joining CB Champ Bailey (1999), LB LaVar Arrington (2000), S Sean Taylor (2004), CB Carlos Rogers (2005), S LaRon Landry (2007), DE/LB Brian Orakpo (2009), LB Ryan Kerrigan (2011), DL Jonathan Allen (2017), and DT Daron Payne (2018). Nine of the 10 defensive players selected by the Redskins in the first round in that time frame have earned at least one Pro Bowl selection during their career.
- Sweat's selection marks the seventh time in the Common Draft era that the Redskins have selected a defensive lineman in the first round, joining Daron Payne (2018), Jonathan Allen (2017), Ryan Kerrigan (2011), Brian Orakpo (2009, transitioned to linebacker in 2010), Kenard Lang (1997) and Bobby Wilson (1991). The Redskins also selected Tracy Rocker (1989, third round), Markus Koch (1986, second round), Bob Slater (1984, second round), Duncan McColl (1977, fourth round) and Bill Brundige (1970, second round) with the team's first selections of each of the drafts listed.
- With the selections of Sweat, Payne and Allen, the Redskins have now used first-round selections on defensive linemen in three consecutive drafts for the first time in the Common Draft era.
- Sweat is the sixth player from Mississippi State selected by the Redskins all-time, joining C Dave Price (1938), B Charlie Yancey (1943), C Charley Cadenhead (1946), CB Fred Smoot (2001), and LB Preston Smith (2015).
- Sweat's selection marks the first time the franchise has drafted a player with No. 26 overall pick in the Common Draft Era and the second time the Redskins used the No. 26 pick selecting B Maurice Elder in the third round of the 1937 NFL Draft.
- Sweat is the ninth Southeastern Conference product selected by the Redskins in the first round in the Common Draft era. The Redskins have now selected an SEC product in the first round of three consecutive drafts for the first time in team history. Sweat becomes the second player selected by the Redskins all-time with the No. 15 overall pick, joining WR Rod Gardner (2001).