(Photo courtesy Penn State)
Check out notes on new Washington Redskins safety Troy Apke, the No. 109 pick in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft, courtesy of Redskins Public Relations.
- Apke is the 470th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 34th fourth-round selection in that time frame. He is the 49th fourth-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
- Apke's selection with the No. 109 overall pick marks the highest the Redskins have selected a safety since selecting LaRon Landry with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. (Note: Su'a Cravens was initially selected as a linebacker with the No. 53 overall pick in 2016).
- Apke becomes the second safety selected by the Redskins in the fourth round in the past two years after the team selected Montae Nicholson with the No. 123 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. It marks the Redskins' first time selecting the same position in the fourth round in back-to-back years since selecting linebackers Shawn Barber and Nate Stimson in the fourth round of the 1998 and 1999 NFL Drafts, respectively.
- Apke is the 22nd Penn State product selected by the Redskins all-time, joining G Johnny Jaffurs (1943), B Joe Colone (1947), B Don Bailey (1955), E Jack Faris (1958), QB Richie Lucas (1960), T Andy Stynchula (1960), G Earl Kohlhaas (1960), B Jim Kerr (1961), E Bob Mitinger (1962), B Ton Urbanik (1964), DB Paul Johnson (1970), LB James Kates (1970), LB Rich Milot (1979), LB Larry Kubin (1981), LB Andre Collins (1990), G Paul Siever (1992), WR Terry Smith (1992), C Greg Huntington (1993), T Andre Johnson (1996), LB LaVar Arrington (2000) and RB Evan Royster (2011).
- Penn State's 22 all-time selections by the Redskins are the fourth-most of any program, trailing Notre Dame (34), USC (30) and Alabama (24). Their 12 selections by the Redskins in the Common Draft era are tied with Nebraska for the most in that timeframe.
- Apke becomes the sixth player selected by the Redskins all-time with the No. 109 overall pick, joining G Henry Bartos (1938), T Monte Moncrief (1946), RB Jamie Morris (1988), DB Rico Labbe (1990) and QB Sage Rosenfels (2001).