Jahan Dotson’s pro career got off to a dream start as he scored two touchdowns in a big win and earned a Pepsi Zero Sugar NFL Rookie of the Week nod. The wide receiver, though, is not letting himself get too high following his impressive debut.
"Achieving that [NFL Rookie of the Week] was pretty cool, but there's plenty more to come," Dotson said. "I want to win them every week at this point."
The rookie's eyes are already turned to the Commanders first road trip against the Detroit Lions this weekend. That matchup comes with a personal storyline for Dotson as he will be facing off against his former Penn State teammate Amani Oruwariye. Knowing that every game in the NFL is a fight and complacency is the enemy, the wide out has kept focus on improving day by day.
"I'm just trying to be better in areas I can improve on. I was watching over film making sure I stay on top of my stuff," Dotson said. "I just try to perfect my craft every single day I come out on the practice field so that I'm ready to play on Sundays."
One of areas Dotson believes he can improve on is his "overall tempo." Compared to college, everything at the pro level is faster from the decision-making to the players themselves to the time it takes for a quarterback's throw to hit a receiver's hands. As a player who has a sense that the sky may be his limit, Dotson is own harshest critic. That mentality, he believes, will help him achieve his loftiest goals.
"I definitely left some plays out there on the field," Dotson said. "I can't do that moving forward, especially with where I want be in the future and where I see that this team could be going and that's big places."
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Friday, Sept. 16, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- The Richmond-Times Dispatch writes about Washington's "triple threat" at wide receiver.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the Detroit Lions' defense ahead of Week 2.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala reports on Brian Robinson returning to practice.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras writes about Antonio Gibson being a factor in the passing game.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the Commanders being eager to take the next step.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd reports on Dan Campbell praising the Commanders' "explosive athletes."
- The Athletic's Ben Standig writes about the Commanders' weapons at wide receiver.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about how the Commanders coaching staff used Curtis Samuel to set the tone against the Jags.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux also writes about Darrick Forrest's standout Week 1 performance.
- The Washington Post's Scott Allen writes about how a fan's perseverance helped Mike Bass get in the Ring of Fame.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Brandon Scherff returning to FedExField.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about what the analytics say about Carson Wentz.
- The Washington Times' Matthew Paras preview the Commanders' Week 1 matchup against the Jaguars.
The Washington Commanders have wrapped up Thursday's practice as they prepare for their Week 2 matchup against the Detroit Lions. Check out the top photos from the afternoon. Photos by Emilee Fails and Kourtney Carroll/Washington Commanders
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- Practice report | Donovan Jeter excited to add skill set to Commanders front
- Jahan Dotson named Pepsi Zero Sugar NFL Rookie of the Week
- Jennifer King featured in trailer for "The Woman King"
- Supporting communities affected by sexual assault, domestic violence is a passion for James Smith-Williams
- Practice report | Monitoring the health of Jonathan Allen, Kamren Curl ahead of Week 2
- Hail Mail | Answering questions on Darrick Forrest, Carson Wentz's arm strength
- Commanders vs. Lions preview | Taking a trip to Motown
- Darrick Forrest stepped up in first career start
- Jahan Dotson nominated for Pepsi Zero Sugar NFL Rookie of the Week
- From the booth | We can all exhale after beginning a new era
- Jahan Dotson reflects on two-touchdown rookie debut
- Carson Wentz nominated for FedEx Air Player of the Week award
- 3 numbers to know after the Commanders Week 1 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars