With kickoff just 24 hours way, the Commanders are dotting their I's and crossing their T's in the final stages of preparation for their clash with the Titans. Defensively, Washington is well aware of what – or should we say who – will be the main focus. Though Derrick Henry is undeniably a unique force to be reckoned with, the Commanders defense has shown improvement and promise in recent games.
"It's no secret I think it's going to be a tall task and it's no secret that this offense goes as far as the 'king' goes. He's 'King Henry' for a reason," Santana Moss said. "I think our defense has risen to the challenge the last few weeks when it's come to the run game so I see our guys going out there and doing just that: rising to the challenge."
Slowing Henry down will be key to what Washington will be hoping to do on the other side of the ball. When Wentz and the Commanders offense do get on the field, they will have something working in their favor.
"It's very, very, very similar to what Jack [Del Rio] does. Lots of cover three. A lot of 'bend but don't break philosophy', a little cover two sprinkled in and they're easy to identify coverages. The safeties kind of tip those off," Logan Paulsen said of the Titans defense.
That familiarity could offer tantalizing opportunities for Scott Turner's unit.
"If Scott [Turner] has a plan and he can get Carson [Wentz] on the same page, I think they've seen how their concepts work against these coverages so it should be a really, really nice matchup for this group," Paulsen sad.
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- ESPN's John Keim writes about the Commanders activating Brian Robinson Jr.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux reports on Washington's injury updates.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the Commanders' issues with play action.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the Commanders trying to stop Derrick Henry.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey looks at Saahdiq Charles starting at right guard.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Brian Robinson Jr.'s comeback.
- ESPN's John Keim also writes about Robinson's return to the practice field.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Carson Wentz's perspective following the Commanders three-game skid.
- USA Today's Ivan Lambert reports on the Commanders adding depth to the offensive line.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd writes about updates on Jahan Dotson and Chase Young.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about the Commanders' rankings in certain stat categories.
- The Athletic's Ben Standig writes about the Commanders' progress, setbacks
- The Washington Times' Matthew Paras writes about the Commanders' running game.
Check out the top photos of Wayne Rooney and members of D.C. United visiting the Washington Commanders' Thursday practice. (Emilee Fails/Washington Commanders)
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- 3 keys to the Commanders defeating the Titans
- Wayne Rooney, Ron Rivera chat about player management, coaching perspectives
- Practice report | Daron Payne, Commanders defense ready for challenge of stopping Derrick Henry
- Wentz 'confident' offense can get back on track against Titans defense
- Brian Robinson reflects on recovery, return to practice
- Practice report | Inside Brian Robinson's first day back at practice
- Commanders vs. Titans preview | An AFC South showdown
- Brian Robinson designated to return to practice
- Commanders strive for sustainability after struggles with penalties
- 'I got another day to impact someone’s life’: Commanders High School Coach of the Week honoree James Ford is a role model, fighter
- 5 takeaways from Washington's matchup with Dallas
- Commanders-Cowboys Stats & Snaps
- Instant Analysis | Commanders struggle to gain momentum in 25-10 loss to Dallas