Commanders running back Antonio Gibson was implemented in a different role during Washington's second preseason game on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs. How Gibson was used as a receiver in space on Saturday harkens back to his Memphis playing days.
"He's a guy who has that type of skillset. Catching the ball out of the backfield is something that's a strength for him, so we've got to get the ball in his hands, in space to make those things happen," head coach Ron Rivera said after the 24-14 preseason defeat.
At the game's close, Gibson ranked second on the team as a pass-catcher, amassing 37 yards on three carries. Two of his biggest plays in space -- a catch for 22 yards and another for 14 -- were instrumental in Washington's first touchdown drive. Gibson was used in another way: he also returned the first kickoff -- an area which Rivera believes he could do some real damage in if given the right coverage.
"He just shows you who he is in space with the ball," Rivera said. "We have to create space for him on kickoffs because he's too talented for us not."
Overall, wherever he played at Arrowhead Stadium, Gibson was consistent, effective and showed resilience. Rivera was encouraged by how the third-year back put the Panthers fumble behind him and did what was asked of him against the Chiefs.
"I thought he responded very well to what happened last week," Rivera said. "I thought he came in [and was] focused."
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Monday, August 22, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- NBC Sports Washington's Pete Hailey writes about Washington's dynamic running back room.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier gives his takeaways following the preseason loss against the Chiefs.
- NBC Sports Washington's Pete Hailey offers some interesting insight into Commanders mouthpiece usage.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about what could lie ahead in Jahan Dotson's rookie season.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd writes about Brian Robinson Jr. ball security and run style.
- The Richmond-Times Dispatch's Michael Phillip writes about coach Jennifer King's offseason development.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd also writes about how Phidarian Mathis is no stranger to patience.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Jonathan Allen's mentality after his Pro Bowl-caliber season.
- The Washington Times' Matthew Paras writes about Sam Howell's upcoming development year.
- The Richmond-Times Dispatch's Michael Phillips catches up with Chase Young after preseason opener, NASCAR weekend.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier lists his takeaway from the preseason opener.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about two standout rookie performances against Carolina.
- The Washington Times' Matthew Paras writes about Carson Wentz's Commanders' debut.
- The Athletic's Ben Standig writes gave his takeaways from Washington's first preseason game.
- The Washington Post's NIcki Jhabvala writes that Washington's wide receivers still have plenty to prove this season.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd lists five Commanders whose snaps against the Panthers will mean more than most.
The Washington Commanders have begun their second preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs. (Emilee Fails/Washington Commanders)
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- 5 takeaways from Washington's preseason loss to Kansas City.
- Numbers to know from Washington's second preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs
- Media roundup | Rivera wants defense to be 'more disciplined' on third-down defense
- Instant Analysis | Commanders fall to 0-2 in 'dress rehearsal' game against the Chiefs
- 3 standouts from Week 4 of Commanders training camp
- 3 keys for Washington's preseason game against the Chiefs
- J.D. McKissic stays steady in Commanders' packed RB room
- Training Camp Notebook | Diving into Jahan Dotson, Antonio Gibson's possible roles on special teams
- Media roundup | Nate Kaczor breaks down kick return duties
- Training Camp Notebook | Rivera dives deeper into Commanders' DE Depth
- Hail Mail | Weighing Washington's options at WR
- From the booth | We all needed to see something
- Training Camp Notebook | Jahan Dotson grabbed two red zone TDs, defensive line disruptive on Day 16
- Media roundup | 'These past two days have been a delight' for Curtis Samuel
- Training Camp Notebook | Dyami Brown makes four catches as Commanders prepare for second preseason game
- Brian Robinson introduced his physical style to Commanders fans in the preseason opener
- Jon Allen ranks No. 88 on NFL's Top 100 players list
- 5 takeaways from Washington's preseason opener against Carolina.
- Numbers to know from Washington's preseason opener