At face value, Curtis Samuel’s Day 2 and Day 3 of training camp could have looked like déjà vu. One day, he's showing flashes of his brilliance on the field. The next day, he's standing on the sidelines, not participating. It was eerily similar to his somewhat back-and-forth injury status last season, a period that Samuel looks back at with a mix of frustration and confusion.
"Just mentally, just not really understanding, like, why is this happening? You know, that was just tough for me," Samuel recalled. "It was at one point I felt like I feel good and the next minute I don't feel good. So, it was just so confusing."
In training camp, though, the reason behind Samuel being in on the action one day and out of some of it the next is different. This is intentional. The receiver isn't injured. Rather, the approach seen in Day 2 and 3 of camp is representative of the Commanders medical and coaching staff's plan to ensure that Samuel's injury from last year doesn't become a deeper, more debilitating issue.
"We're trying to prevent it from becoming a lingering thing," Coach Rivera said. "And when the trainer comes to me and says, 'Hey, he is looking good, he's had a couple really good days. Let's just get him through this and then move on.' Yeah. Okay. I'm fine with that. I mean, we're gonna build it up. We're gonna ramp it up. He's better for us playing than he is, you know, rehabbing."
According to Samuel, the approach has worked well so far.
"Yeah, I feel good. I feel fast, you know, that's the main thing. I'm flying around out there and I'm able to do stuff that I used to do. So, I'm excited about that…Just trying to take it day by day and just get better and better."
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Saturday, July 30, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay provided a look back at Ryan Kerrigan's career in Washington.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the sounds of the first few days of training camp.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Dyami Brown's epic in Day 3.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about the positive Day 2 outing for the Commanders' secondary.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about the glimpses of Curtis Samuel magic that offer hope for the future.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about how Carson Wentz's attitude has impressed as training camp gets underway.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the humble approach that is fueling the Commanders defense.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux also talks about Jahan Dotson's excitement towards learning from Terry McLaurin.
- ESPN's John Keim writes about Carson Wentz building his confidence on the first day of camp.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier gives five position battles to watch ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras looks at his top position battles to watch.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey talks about Antonio Gibson wanting to be known exclusively as a running back.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about why Terry McLaurin was so excited to be throwing with Carson Wentz.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about how Curtis Samuel feels about the 2021 season.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Ron Rivera's confidence in the Commanders' growth ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras takes a look at the Commanders' defensive line ahead of training camp.
- ESPN's John Keim also writes about the quarterback position as the Commanders prepare for training camp.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux also writes about Carson Wentz's rating in Madden 23.
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- Kerrigan: Love from Washington fanbase 'made my career'
- Ryan Kerrigan pens letter to announce retirement
- Ryan Kerrigan announces retirement, will sign one day contract with the Commanders
- Training Camp Notebook: Defense shines on Day 2
- Media Round Up | Ron Rivera sees Brian Robinson as 'big, strong, powerful downhill runner'
- Carson Wentz focused on building chemistry to start camp
- Quick hits from Ron Rivera's introductory training camp press conference
- Hail Mail | Training camp is finally upon us
- Commanders players begin reporting for training camp
- Commanders place Chase Young, Logan Thomas, Tyler Larsen, Chase Roullier on PUP list; Cornelius Lucas placed on NFI list
- Washington Commanders announce open voting for fans to help select Fight Song lyrics and team mascot as part of the team's inaugural season under a new name and brand identity
- Full list of Commanders Madden 23 ratings revealed
- Training camp preview | Running back
- Training camp preview | Defensive line
- Training camp preview | Safety
- Training camp preview | Offensive line
- Top safeties Washington will face in 2022
- Jon Allen rated as top 5 defensive tackle in Madden 23
- PFF's Mike Renner predicts breakout season for Sam Cosmi