Ryan Kerrigan felt strongly about ending his professional career in the place where it all started.
"This is where my heart is," Kerrigan said.
On Friday, July 30, Washington's all-time official leader in sacks announced he would sign a one-day contract with the team who drafted him over a decade ago and officially retire as a member of the Burgundy & Gold. The 33-year-old, who walked into the facility to sign the papers with his wife and three daughters, was greeted with raucous applause.
"They went above and beyond to make it a special day for me, and we'll remember that day for the rest of our lives," Kerrigan said.
The moment, full of appreciation and admiration from teammates and coaches alike, offered a window into what this man meant to the franchise. With his professionalism, talent and consistency, Kerrigan set an example and had an infectious presence that perpetuated good habits on the team.
"He is the epitome of an NFL player in so many different ways. He was an incredible teammate. One of the most hardworking guys I've ever seen," Commanders center Chase Roullier said.
In addition to having an influence on those who he suited up alongside, Kerrigan was beloved by so many in the DMV area.
"I think the biggest thing that's obvious is what he meant to the franchise, what he meant to the fans and the community more so than anything else," Head Coach Ron Rivera said.
The day following his one-day contract signing, Kerrigan hung out with guys on the defensive sideline during practice. After taking pictures with fans and talking to the media, he drove off into his next chapter, satisfied and spent.
"I just want them [people] to know that I gave them everything I had, like literally everything I had. Emotionally, physically, they got all of me…Football was my life," Kerrigan said.
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Monday, August 1, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay provided a look back at Ryan Kerrigan's career in Washington.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the sounds of the first few days of training camp.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Dyami Brown's epic in Day 3.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about the positive Day 2 outing for the Commanders' secondary.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about the glimpses of Curtis Samuel magic that offer hope for the future.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about how Carson Wentz's attitude has impressed as training camp gets underway.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the humble approach that is fueling the Commanders defense.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux also talks about Jahan Dotson's excitement towards learning from Terry McLaurin.
- ESPN's John Keim writes about Carson Wentz building his confidence on the first day of camp.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier gives five position battles to watch ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras looks at his top position battles to watch.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey talks about Antonio Gibson wanting to be known exclusively as a running back.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about why Terry McLaurin was so excited to be throwing with Carson Wentz.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about how Curtis Samuel feels about the 2021 season.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Ron Rivera's confidence in the Commanders' growth ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras takes a look at the Commanders' defensive line ahead of training camp.
- ESPN's John Keim also writes about the quarterback position as the Commanders prepare for training camp.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux also writes about Carson Wentz's rating in Madden 23.
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- 4 standouts from Week 1 of Commanders' training camp
- Kam Curl gives inside look at intense defensive competition
- Kerrigan: Love from Washington fanbase 'made my career'
- Ryan Kerrigan pens letter to announce retirement
- Ryan Kerrigan announces retirement, will sign one day contract with the Commanders
- Training Camp Notebook: Defense shines on Day 2
- Media Round Up | Ron Rivera sees Brian Robinson as 'big, strong, powerful downhill runner'
- Carson Wentz focused on building chemistry to start camp
- Quick hits from Ron Rivera's introductory training camp press conference
- Hail Mail | Training camp is finally upon us
- Commanders players begin reporting for training camp
- Commanders place Chase Young, Logan Thomas, Tyler Larsen, Chase Roullier on PUP list; Cornelius Lucas placed on NFI list
- Washington Commanders announce open voting for fans to help select Fight Song lyrics and team mascot as part of the team's inaugural season under a new name and brand identity
- Full list of Commanders Madden 23 ratings revealed
- Training camp preview | Running back
- Training camp preview | Defensive line
- Training camp preview | Safety
- Training camp preview | Offensive line
- Top safeties Washington will face in 2022