Head Coach Ron Rivera stepped to the podium to open up his third training camp in Ashburn, Virginia, on Tuesday, July 26. This one, he admitted, has come with a different feel.
"I'm very excited. I'm a lot more excited than I have been in the past," Rivera said. "There's some normal to this."
COVID restrictions and protocols won't have the same kind of starring role this season as they did in Rivera's previous two as Washington's head coach. And while that factor alone is cause for positivity, it's hardly the only source of the electricity in the air around Coach Gibbs Drive.
"I do like where we are, and I like our potential," Rivera said.
From the mouth-watering potential of the Terry McLaurin and Carson Wentz connection to the returning forces of Jon Allen and Daron Payne on defense, there's lot to be excited for about the Burgundy & Gold as training camp gets underway. Add in the fact that the Commanders have perhaps the weakest strength of schedule in the league, and it's easy to see why the team has been pinned as play-off contender.
While he's encouraged by what this group of guys can do, Rivera isn't getting swept up in the hype and pressure around this being a "playoff or bust year." Rather, he's taking a game-by-game approach.
"We expect to win. We'll leave it at that," Rivera said.
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Wednesday July 27, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Football Team.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier gives five position battles to watch ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras looks at his top position battles to watch.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about Antonio Gibson wanting to be known exclusively as a running back.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about why Terry McLaurin was so excited to be throwing with Carson Wentz.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about how Curtis Samuel feels about the 2021 season.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Ron Rivera's confidence in the Commanders' growth ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras takes a look at the Commanders' defensive line ahead of training camp.
- ESPN's John Keim writes about the quarterback position as the Commanders prepare for training camp.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Carson Wentz's rating in Madden 23.
- NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay gives his take on the Commanders' training camp.
- USA Today's Bryan Manning takes a look at the Commanders' wide receivers.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux and Peter Hailey give their takes on the odds for the Commanders' 2022 season.
- NBC Sports Washington's Bijan Todd writes about Booger McFarland's comparison for Chase Young.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras writes about the Commanders' offensive line ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Post's Caroline Pineda writes about Brian Robinson adding his skill set to the Commanders' backfield.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras takes a look at Jamin Davis' second season.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey and Ethan Cadeaux look at the betting odds for Carson Wentz's passing yards.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Chase Young and Montez Sweat's reported Madden 23 ratings.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey and Ethan Cadeaux look at Washington's betting odds to make the playoffs.
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- Quick hits from Ron Rivera's introductory training camp press conference
- Hail Mail | Training camp is finally upon us
- Commanders players begin reporting for training camp
- Commanders place Chase Young, Logan Thomas, Tyler Larsen, Chase Roullier on PUP list; Cornelius Lucas placed on NFI list
- Washington Commanders announce open voting for fans to help select Fight Song lyrics and team mascot as part of the team's inaugural season under a new name and brand identity
- Full list of Commanders Madden 23 ratings revealed
- Training camp preview | Running back
- Training camp preview | Defensive line
- Training camp preview | Safety
- Training camp preview | Offensive line
- Top safeties Washington will face in 2022
- Jon Allen rated as top 5 defensive tackle in Madden 23
- PFF's Mike Renner predicts breakout season for Sam Cosmi
- Training camp preview | Tight end
- Top 5 wide receivers Washington will face in 2022
- Terry McLaurin rated as top 10 WR in Madden 23
- Training camp preview | Linebackers
- Training camp preview | Quarterback
- Rivera: Commanders will use more two-linebacker sets in 2022