Antonio Gibson and the rest of Washington's offense probably wished they had earplugs following Monday morning's practice session. When the defense plays that well, they aren't shy about letting the offense know.
"It is nothing but competition in the locker room and on the field, so we got to hear it. We're probably going to have to hear it all day," Gibson said after practice.
The defense's impressive outing to start off Week 2 of camp was highlighted by five interceptions. Three of those picks came in four plays in an approximately five-minute period. The secondary in particular had a day to chirp about, hustling to get in the right spots, reading players and communicating effectively.
"We want to create turnovers for the offense," Kamren Curl said. "Just being out here, being able to fly around, and being comfortable with the defense, gives us that extra gear to play fast."
"It was a really good spring for our secondary and they picked up right where they left off and very pleased with that," said head coach Ron Rivera.
Coach is pleased. The players are feeling a boost. However, no one is letting complacency creep in. A big focal point for the defense this training camp and season is not allowing themselves to get too arrogant or assume that success will automatically come their way.
"It's just working hard, being humble, staying locked in, trying to get better every day, and not being complacent with where we are at," Curl said. "Just trying to be that top five defense and to do that you got to put the work in, you got to pay the price to do that. So that's all we trying to do."
Here's a morning roundup of what the local and national media have to say about the Washington Commanders on Tuesday, August 2, 2022. All reports, rumors and conjecture are a reflection of the media conversation and are not endorsed or confirmed by the Washington Commanders.
The reports and deals expressed in this article have not been confirmed by Washington, nor do they reflect any insider information from anyone in the front office.
- The Washington Post's PJ Morales writes about the hunt for the team's next starting dual-returner.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Antonio Gibson's confidence entering Year 3.
- NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay provided a look back at Ryan Kerrigan's career in Washington.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier writes about the sounds of the first few days of training camp.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about Dyami Brown's epic in Day 3.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about the positive Day 2 outing for the Commanders' secondary.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about the glimpses of Curtis Samuel magic that offer hope for the future.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about how Carson Wentz's attitude has impressed as training camp gets underway.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux writes about the humble approach that is fueling the Commanders defense.
- NBC Sports Washington's Ethan Cadeaux also talks about Jahan Dotson's excitement towards learning from Terry McLaurin.
- ESPN's John Keim writes about Carson Wentz building his confidence on the first day of camp.
- The Washington Post's Sam Fortier gives five position battles to watch ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras looks at his top position battles to watch.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey talks about Antonio Gibson wanting to be known exclusively as a running back.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey also writes about why Terry McLaurin was so excited to be throwing with Carson Wentz.
- NBC Sports Washington's Peter Hailey writes about how Curtis Samuel feels about the 2021 season.
- The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala writes about Ron Rivera's confidence in the Commanders' growth ahead of training camp.
- The Washington Time's Matthew Paras takes a look at the Commanders' defensive line ahead of training camp.
Check Out What's On Commanders.com:
- Antonio Gibson looking 'spry' in return to team drills
- Training Camp Notebook | Defense shines to start Week 2 of camp
- 4 standouts from Week 1 of Commanders' training camp
- Kam Curl gives inside look at intense defensive competition
- Kerrigan: Love from Washington fanbase 'made my career'
- Ryan Kerrigan pens letter to announce retirement
- Ryan Kerrigan announces retirement, will sign one day contract with the Commanders
- Training Camp Notebook | Defense shines on Day 2
- Media Round Up | Ron Rivera sees Brian Robinson as 'big, strong, powerful downhill runner'
- Carson Wentz focused on building chemistry to start camp
- Quick hits from Ron Rivera's introductory training camp press conference
- Hail Mail | Training camp is finally upon us
- Commanders players begin reporting for training camp
- Commanders place Chase Young, Logan Thomas, Tyler Larsen, Chase Roullier on PUP list; Cornelius Lucas placed on NFI list
- Washington Commanders announce open voting for fans to help select Fight Song lyrics and team mascot as part of the team's inaugural season under a new name and brand identity
- Full list of Commanders Madden 23 ratings revealed
- Training camp preview | Running back
- Training camp preview | Defensive line
- Training camp preview | Safety